guarantor through smartmove

4 Replies

I'm thinking about renting to a student that will have his parents be a guarantor. They are out of state. The question I'm wondering about is if I can do a background check on the parent through smartmove? This will be the first time I am going to use smartmove for credit, criminal, and eviction check so I'm a little fresh to it.

Hello @Chris Sones ,

I’m a representative with TransUnion SmartMove. You are able to process a co-signer in SmartMove. In this case, you would enter the parent’s email address in the co-signer email address field before you send the screening invitation. If you have any further questions I’m happy to help, just send me a note through BiggerPockets. Thanks!

Originally posted by @Sara Jackson :

Hello @Chris Sones ,

I’m a representative with TransUnion SmartMove. You are able to process a co-signer in SmartMove. In this case, you would enter the parent’s email address in the co-signer email address field before you send the screening invitation. If you have any further questions I’m happy to help, just send me a note through BiggerPockets. Thanks!

I'm a bit late to this discussion. Sara, you suggested that Chris "enter the parent's email...in the co-signer email address field..." I'm thinking of using SmartMove but confess to some confusion. Like Chris, I am likely to have students apply. So...would I put the student's name in the email address field, and then add the co-signer email address as you've explained? Or does everyone get an individual email?

~Susan

Hello @Susan H. ,

Please accept my apologies for the delayed response. I’ve been out of the office most of this week. When you create a new application, you’ll want put the student’s email in the “Applicant email” field and the cosigner’s email into the “Co-Signer’s email address” field. The email address is the unique identifier for each individual so all the emails need to be different. All applicants and co-signers would get an email from SmartMove asking them to create their accounts. If you have further questions I’m happy to help, just send me a note through BiggerPockets. Thanks!

Originally posted by @Sara Jackson :

Hello @Susan Holmes,

Please accept my apologies for the delayed response. I’ve been out of the office most of this week. When you create a new application, you’ll want put the student’s email in the “Applicant email” field and the cosigner’s email into the “Co-Signer’s email address” field. The email address is the unique identifier for each individual so all the emails need to be different. All applicants and co-signers would get an email from SmartMove asking them to create their accounts. If you have further questions I’m happy to help, just send me a note through BiggerPockets. Thanks!

@Sara Jackson: thank you very much!