Requalify tenants for a renewal?

6 Replies

If you have a tenant renewing their lease do you have them reapply in order to confirm that they continue to meet your rental criteria? If not a full reapplication process are you at least asking for most recent pay stubs?

If tenants have been paying their rent, then I would not requalify them. In fact, as a tenant, I'd be sort of offended, if my landlord would ask me to do that again, when I've proven that I stand by my word.

To date I have not. If there actions (not paying rent, being late, a nuicenance so forth), illustrate an issue for renewal, I simply don't renew. To date I personally have never done anything but send at a renewal notice or non-renwal notice.

Originally posted by @Steven Anderson :

If you have a tenant renewing their lease do you have them reapply in order to confirm that they continue to meet your rental criteria? If not a full reapplication process are you at least asking for most recent pay stubs?

Hello Steven,

This is a great question. Whenever I have tenants renew a lease, I do not normally have them reapply. There are a few times I might want to check things out again. For example, if they add a new tenant, I would have just the new tenant go through a background check. If they had a cosigner and are interested in removing them, I might recheck their credit report and see if they improved.

Other than that, as long as they have been good tenants, and you want to renew with them, I do not see a reason to spend them time rechecking them. As long as you feel comfortable with them, go ahead and have them resign!

on the boat with everyone here, as long as they've been cooperative, and paying the rent on time, there's no need..if they've been giving me problems, i just won't offer the renewal of the lease, and give them their 30 days notice when their lease is up!