Votes
Remmy Vernon
  • Vilas, WI
Votes |
Help with Ozone Generator

Remmy Vernon
  • Vilas, WI
Posted Feb 1 2016, 07:25

After reading many post here on using an ozone generator to help eliminate apartment smells, I went ahead and purchased one.

I have a unit that had a smell to it. Cleaned the walls, painted everything, replace carpet and padding. After this all took place, I could still smell the original smell, but not nearly as bad as it was.

The range was heavily coated in old food and grease. I thought for sure this was the source of the smell. Got that all cleaned up. The grout was very dirty - looked like grease and dirt. Got that all cleaned up. Checked all over for leaks, including tearing out the cabinet bottom under the sink just to see. Nothing there. I guess the cabinets could have soaked up smell? I washed those down the simple green then followed with a vinegar rinse.

It seems to me that the smell has gotten better. However, maybe I have a sensitive nose, but I feel like I can still smell it. And the thing is, within few seconds of being in the apartment, you can't smell it. So it is not like I can go to one area and say 'ah-ha! that is the source!' And it is not overpowering either. 

It is very cold here, so don't really want to leave the windows open to air it out. So decided on the ozone generator since it is unoccupied.

Oh and no pets have been in the unit.

The unit is only 575 SQ.FT. One bedroom/bath. Think efficiency apartment with kitchen open to living area, but bedroom and bath are separate.

Question:

Should I run the bathroom fan and stove top fan while I run the ozone generator? 

I will have a few fans running to help circulate air, as this unit does not have any sort of HVAC. It's just electric heat baseboards. 

Any other tips when using the ozone generator? ( aside from not being there while its running ) 

Loading replies...