Votes
Lynette Johnson
  • Georges Mills, NH
Votes |
Assessing damages at tenant move out

Lynette Johnson
  • Georges Mills, NH
Posted Feb 1 2016, 20:30

The house I bought in July included a separate two story 1bed, 1 bath rental house on the property. I inherited the tenant who had a one year lease that started mid Feb 2015. I viewed the house just before this tenant moved in and the carpets were clean and unstained. The kitchen and appliances were clean. No issues with the apartment. I just did the move out inspection and am trying to figure out damages. There are pet stains throughout the carpet and I don't know how to figure if the carpet is salvageable. I seriously doubt it can be cleaned. 

The kitchen counters, floors and appliances are sticky and with visible dirt and food. The fridge is dirty and moldy inside. The drawers are full of  mouse droppings. She never told me about any pest issue. There is water damage on all the upstairs windowsills as I believe she never shut her windows. She left a fair amount of belongings behind which will be easily disposed of.  The oil and propane tanks are about $200 shy of fuel from when she moved in. I know I'm going to have a hard with the tenant about these issues. I will do the cleaning myself. I just can't figure out how to determine if the carpet can be cleaned without paying someone to do it and then losing that money if indeed it is not salvageable. 

Loading replies...