• Investor
  • Hendersonville, NC
Votes |
Flooring Choices

Jason Merchey
  • Investor
  • Hendersonville, NC
Posted Feb 5 2016, 07:36

I have a rental in the not-so-great part of North Charleston, SC. It has had VCT on the floor for about 8 years, and it's fairly light colored. It hasn't been sealed and polished well. I think it's toast.  A tenant is moving out and I think I'm to the point where the process of cleaning and sealing the floors would be difficult or impossible. 

I have a person who would install vinyl tile that looks and feels like wood. It would be fairly attractive and I think fairly low-maintenance, but it would cost $4/foot to buy and install. That is going to cost me $4,000, making the entire minor rehab cost $5,000-$6,000. On a rental that grosses $750 a month and because of the water bill situation nets $500 a month, it's not an attractive option. 

If I were to sell or re-lease it, I would need a floor that makes a family of three who is going to get Section 8 reimbursement per month say "Oh that is nice and new." I was thinking of actually using the garage floor coating they sell at Home Depot. That would be hard, and impenatrable, and fairly repairable. And maybe $.75/foot applied. 

Am I missing any options?  Have any suggestions?

Loading replies...