What are the best interior doors for rowdy tenants?

What are the best interior doors for rowdy tenants?

Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 12 votes

Another super sexy topic I am starting here (jk).  I have to replace quite a few doors at a rental unit I am turning.  About 80% of the interior doors in the unit were broken.  In the previous tenants defense, none of the doors had been updated probably in 10 years.  I just moved this same tenant into a new unit and all the doors were fine upon move-in, now one's already broken at the base.  They were all hollow-core doors.   What's the best interior door for tenants that are likely to break them?  I am not 100% hip to the door game but I am guessing there have got to be better options nowadays.  Maybe a solid piece of foam or insulation sandwiched between two pieces of thin aluminum or PVC/Vinyl?  I am planning on going to the window/door supply house as I finish up this unit but just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this.  

0Reply
107 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
10y

How about, replace the tenants?

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Queen Creek, AZ · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    I would do aluminum doors or no doors j/k our last tenants had dogs locked inside the rooms and the dogs tore the doors apart to get out, and they were not even allowed to have pets on the property! 

    Good luck ;)

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    How about, replace the tenants?

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    just make sure they are at least solid core doors

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Jeff Gates These are section 8 tenants in an area best suited for section 8 tenants.  This comes with the territory.  Most section 8 landlords opt for materials that are difficult to break, and easy to refinish.  I am looking at flooring options too.  Some people do hardwood and then refinish, others do the ceramic tile, I am thinking about very thick commercial grade vinyl plank.  It can all be damaged though and often is.  In a door I'd like something that can take abuse and then be repainted.  If it's metal maybe I can just take the dings to my auto body guy for bondo? Lol. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    10y

    Do solid core doors, hollow core are just cardboard with wood veneer.   The material cost is very low on hollow core but most of the cost to replace a door is labor.  

    Something like this, not too expensive but very durable

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Steves-Sons-36-in-x-80-in-Composite-Unfinished-Flush-Interior-Door-Slab-Q68FHFCNAC99/100086151

  • Adam WillisBusiness Member
    West Jordan, UT · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    10y
    A revolving door that hits the the tenants in the a$$ when they damage your property. :)
  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed Very funny, Haha.  Maybe you can send me a pair of bamboo door beads?

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Adam Willis Are you sure you and @Account Closed aren't in the post-game show?  Some good knee slappers here fellas :p

    I was thinking of ordering some high quality chokey doors: http://roalddahl.wikia.com/wiki/The_Chokey

  • Rental Property Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    @Patrick L. Thanks for the suggestion that looks like a very good and well priced option.  I may even consider going for a steel door like this if I can find one that is thin enough to not look odd in the interiors.  They are 6-panel and add a little bit of fire safety which is never a bad thing.  Hopefully they'll have more options for me to look though at the supply house.  

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/32-in-x-80-in-6-Panel-Steel-Gray-Fire-Commercial-Door-Slab-HPC2868X/202080908

  • Investor · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 606 posts · 699 votes
    8y

    I like the six panel faux wood with grain.  See if you can stock up on them at the Restore Store (Habitat for Humanity secondhand home improvement store. )  The faux wood doors are easy to paint in place and do not leave brush marks.  Small dents can be repaired with this awesome product called "Rocky's Rock Hard Water Putty".  

    Your tenants are also probably hard on closet doors.  I would replace those with tension shower rods and thick curtains.  

    But I agree with upgrading your tenants.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Cut a new hole in the door around where the damage is and fit it with a vent cover/diffuser.
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Closed

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.