• Investor
  • Presque Isle, ME
Votes |
Charging Different Rates Based on Lease Length

Jeremy Dugal
  • Investor
  • Presque Isle, ME
Posted Mar 15 2016, 12:39

Hello.  I currently own a duplex with 3 bedroom units in a small college community (pop. 4100).  I currently rent the units for $750 each on a one year lease term.  Although I prefer not to rent to students, the area has limited potential tenants therefore there are times when the units will be vacant for 2-3 months at a time.  My question is this:  Is it appropriate or even legal to offer my property for two different rates dependent on the lease length.  I would possibly offer them to students for a 9 month lease during the school year for say $1000 per month as it is still cheaper then the dorms per student and they are likely to split the rent between 3 people and it would still be affordable, while concurrently offering a 1 year lease term for $750 per month.  That way my total gross cash flow for the year remains the same should I have 2-3 months in the summer where the units are vacant.  That way I can continue to look for the desirable non-student tenants during the summer and if they remain vacant come September then I could resort to the students.  Hope this makes sense.  Hard to explain.  Thanks for your help.  

Loading replies...