How to screen foriegn nationals?

5 Replies

I have a Canadian Dentist offering to pay me 6 months up front my rental is in Gainesville Florida.  But I have no way to do the tenants screening.  Typically I just use smart move.

Originally posted by @George Farrell :

I have a Canadian Dentist offering to pay me 6 months up front my rental is in Gainesville Florida.  But I have no way to do the tenants screening.  Typically I just use smart move.

Did he come to the US for a job?  Can you verify employment?  When I rented to foreigners, they came either as international students or for a techie job in Silicon Valley.  

You can ask to see the visa in his passport.  I copied them.  I've heard you aren't supposed to, but I did, just in case I needed it.  Make sure the photo is them, and copy the actual visa.  How long can they stay?  Are they here on a tourist visa?

I did month to month agreements, so it wasn't as scary to take a chance on people, but mine had verifiable school records or employment offers.

What you could do, is take the money but write up a month to month agreement, and you still reserve the right to kick them out with 30 days notice and refund any unused pre-paid rent.

If he has come to work, he will get a social security number, so you can ask for it.  Anyone who gets paid legally in the US gets a social security number, even if it's just a temporary contract job.

The woman is coming to  UF too switch from Dentistry to being a Radiologist. Starts her md work in August. I have found published papers for her and her husband on dental implants etc.  Which basically tells me the are real dentist but nothing else.

Promotion
Guaranteed Rate
Guaranteed Rate is a top mortgage lender
Save $1,290 on your next home – no lender fee*
Get special perks like $1,290 in lender fee savings when you buy a second home with Guaranteed Rate.
Apply Now

The woman is coming to  UF too switch from Dentistry to being a Radiologist. Starts her md work in August. I have found published papers for her and her husband on dental implants etc.  Which basically tells me the are real dentist but nothing else.

OH, in my opinion, you should snatch them up then.  Just get proof of her acceptance letter.  I accepted copies of emails from the university to the student saying they were accepted, and/or information about their student financial aid.  And copies of their visas/passports.

I never had problems with Canadian students, and grad students are the best.  Just verify the college acceptance and sign them up!  My experience with these types of tenants is that they were wonderful!

also they are renting site unseen just my the picks on my add.  All they really care about is the elementary school.

Perfect!  I rented to almost all of my foreign students and many others sight-unseen.  I was very honest about the fact that they were bare bones, but it was a quiet, safe building with great maintenance and great location, and a fair price.  And lots of pics so they weren't surprised.

I expect you'll be glad you rented to them and they may stay for her entire program.  Is it a couple years?