Proof of Legal Guardianship

8 Replies

Good evening,

I have tenant moving from another state to Texas next month.  She is taking care of her niece which has been living with her for an extended time.  Since she is crossing state lines with a child that is not hers, do I need her to provide some proof of legal guardianship?   

BTW - Thanks for a great site.  This forum have been extremely helpful.

Keith

Thanks for the reply.  No, I'm not the police and do not suspect a crime.  I also didn't want to be the landlord that didn't do his homework.  Perhaps there are some that have come across this before and know if there are any requirements on the landlord to ask about guardianship.  Thanks again.

Promotion
SimplifyEm
Property Management Made Easy
Powerful Online Tool
Stress free and user friendly. From managing to advertising, SimplifyEm has got you covered!
Click for FREE Trial
Originally posted by @Keith Alter :

Thanks for the reply.  No, I'm not the police and do not suspect a crime.  I also didn't want to be the landlord that didn't do his homework.  Perhaps there are some that have come across this before and know if there are any requirements on the landlord to ask about guardianship.  Thanks again.

Keith, it would freak me out, too.  I'd ask for proof of guardianship or custody, and I'd get the kid's social security number.  All kids get social security numbers now when they're listed as dependents on tax returns.  So, she'll have one.

Then, even if they give you fake documents, at least you did your due diligence.  

Trust your hinky hairs.  If there wasn't something off about how they presented it, you wouldn't be wondering what you should do.

Unless you are in a profession that requires the reporting of suspected child abuse, you do not have to report. Landlords are not normally required to submit such reports. Some States require that all persons that suspect child abuse are obligated. You will have to check the laws of your jurisdiction (State).

Thanks for the replies.    I don't have any reason to believe there is an issue, I just want to be covered.  I will see if I can run it by an RE attorney to confirm.

Basically she could have said it is her daughter but she said she has custody of her niece.  I would not ask for anything. If the child is school age she will need to produce custody documents for the schools.