• Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
Boy friend MAY have moved out...

Sam Leon
  • Investor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posted Jul 30 2016, 04:00

I have a lease with an unmarried couple, say Jack and Jill for apartment B.

Good tenants, no issue, no hassle, pays on time.

On one of my visits to repair something in apartment C, the tenant says "...so did you know Jack and Jill broke up?"  I said no I didn't.  After that I began to pay attention and sure enough, I no longer see Jack's car.  When I go by to do regular maintenance, Jack is never there, nor his car.  The lease we renewed in April, with both Jack and Jill.  I can't recall seeing Jack since the lease was signed.  Even emails I sent to all tenants in that building, which includes Jack's email, are no longer responded to by Jack.  Emails such as an announcement that on this day and time the washer is being replaced and plan on no washing in the morning, or that day there will be pressure washing of the driveway between 9am-11am please move your vehicle etc...and Jack in the past always respond with a quick thank you for letting us know reply.

I never asked Jill where Jack is.  The rent is being paid.  For all I know Jack could be on a 3 month expedition to the Everest or they are still working things out.  As far as I am concerned if she is OK with Jack having access to the apartment it's really none of my business.  But at the end of the lease I will need to return the deposits with a check to both of their names and not just Jill.

So, should I just let things be?  Or is there any reason for me to find out so I can do a formal drop tenant addendum if Jack is truly "gone"?

Loading replies...