• Sales Associate
  • Hacienda Heights, CA
Votes |
Need Help: Tenants' Requests

Wesley Kuo
  • Sales Associate
  • Hacienda Heights, CA
Posted Aug 11 2016, 10:47
Greetings BP family, Weeks ago I posted a topic about screening tenants for rental property, and thanks to the immense knowledge from all who responded, I found the tenants and signed the agreements effective August 1st. So far my tenants have contacted me few times about the following items which leave me wonder for proper solutions as a landlord: 1. Changing wall color: I suppose this is the least complicated issue, but I still wonder if I handle it correctly. I told the tenants it is their option to repaint the house anytime during the tenancy as long as the property is returned to its original condition upon termination of the leasing agreement. 2. Hood in the kitchen: The property has a hood in the kitchen, but it does not have an exit pipe through the cabinets above and to the roof. The tenants want to open the path for it by modifying the cabinets and the roof. They know someone who can complete the job, but they want to have the permission to start. Should I allow them to proceed? Similar to #1, I could stick to the agreement and let them know the modification is allowed as long as the property is returned to the original condition at the end of leasing term, but is it the answer you will give? I am also concerned about tenants’ own handyperson; which party will be liable for possible injury, damages to the property, or bills for the job? 3. Toilet: Tenants said it doesn’t flush down at first attempt; the water just turns. They need to flush twice. I think the toilet flushes strongly or not is subjective, but I did make sure it takes one flush only before signing the agreements. Perhaps some wastes have been disposed down the pipe but I will not assume. What should be done in this case and which party should be responsible for the repair, if necessary? Thank you all :)

Loading replies...