Dead Grass.

16 Replies

Is there anything I can do about a tenent letting the grass die at a property. this place I picked up had a pool that was in bad need of reapiar or fill in..I chose fill in, level, topsoil and sod. it lookded great. I put in sprinklers front and back. New tenants refuse to water the lawns...front or back... $3000 work of landscaping ruined. I wanted the place to have "curb appeal and attract good tenants....learning lessons everyday...the hard way....but my origial question. what can I do about the cost to fix the yards?

$3000 work of landscaping ruined. I wanted the place to have "curb appeal and attract good tenants....learning lessons everyday...the hard way....but my origial question. what can I do about the cost to fix the yards?

Is this a million dollar rental? If not, then why in the world would you spend $3,000 on landscaping? You've already discovered the truth - most tenants don't care about your landscaping or your property.

What can you do about the cost to fix your yard? Don't add to the cost. Let this tenant live with a bare yard. When they eventually leave, spread some grass seed and then forget it!

Finally, I would strongly suggest that you read EVERY SINGLE POST in the archives of the landlording forum. There is no excuse for learning every lesson the hard way - $3,000 at a time!!! OUCH!

Good Luck,

Mike

I wish it was a Million dollar rental....it cost way too much (more that I thought) to get rid of the pool and junk that Goes along with a pool. some trees needed to be cut down, stumps ground. and i think in my absence the laborers were doing "bobcat drag races' around the reamining good parts of the yards wich involved more leveling and sod.

I'm sure it's only a matter of DAYS until I get the letter from the HOA about failure to maintain the yard....then what?

good move getting rid of the pool though, that's a liability you don't need!!

What does your lease say? Mine says property maintenance (lawn, I mean, not replacing the roof) is the tenants responsibility. If they let it die, its their problem to pay any resulting fines and the cost to fix it. My lease says any money I get from them goes first to any other fees or charges, then late fees, then rent. So, if the HOA fined me (not that I'd EVER own a HOA property), the "rent" would first go to the fine. If I was forced to fix the lawn, that would also come out of the "rent". That would very likely result in not getting the actual rent, so that would be late. Then start an eviction if they don't pay.

I can normally laugh off my own mistakes, I've got a successful business now that started out rough in the beginning for the same reasons. I can try and obtain as much knowledge from reading, and I've got so much from this site, but until you drop your fly and hang some money out there you really don’t know what's gona happen with out personal experience….but if I hear my wife say "I told you so" one more time!!!!!

True enough, unfortunately.

But what does your lease say about maintaining the property?

Copied the lease from the forms link on this site....the only think that might be in my favor is a staement that the property need to look like it did when they moved in....or something to that effect...nothing specific about yard maint.

we are activley looing for deals near us and Trees are bad news we avoid houses with large or many trees they cost a ton to trim or remove the roots damage septic and sewer lines,,, trees are terrible !!
2 large trees in the yard is $3000 easy to cut and remove

Originally posted by Greg C:
we are activley looing for deals near us and Trees are bad news we avoid houses with large or many trees they cost a ton to trim or remove the roots damage septic and sewer lines,,, trees are terrible !!
2 large trees in the yard is $3000 easy to cut and remove

What does that have to do with the topic?

well, the OP did say that part of his landscaping expense was removing trees and stumps when mike said 3k was crazy for landscaping

sorry i thought that was relavent to why he paid 3k ,, i guess i will just shut up from now on and read post and not bother posting

Greg C,

Don't stop posting. Josh was just doing as he and the moderators are meant to do - to try and make sure that discussions stay "on topic" as closely as possible.

I'm sure he doesn't want you to be like a turtle and put yourself in a shell. This site is about networking and interacting, after all.

Greg -
Maybe I was confused, but I still feel like I missed something. Either way, as Steve said, I'm just trying to keep on topic. Don't take offense, please.

Back to Dead Grass . . .

I have never read the lease that is posted here on BP but you need to stop using that lease and go talk to an attorney to get a good lease for your area.

There are many many lessons rolled up into one here.....and one of them that says "hasn't been addressed is using someone else lease - maybe it is good for them - maybe not - either way you need to find a good RE attorney and pay him for a lease.

As Jon said - your lease should have something in there specifically addressing this issue - if yours says "he property need to look like it did when they moved in" what does that even mean? Does it mean when they move out - a year after they move out - at all times - before inspections - when?

I have a clause like Jon's that says they are responsible for X and it lists it out - both and in and out.....you can get general with it but not as general as yours.

Mike's comments are right on as well.

$3K on a good lease would be a better use of your $$ (but it won't cost that much).

You have yet to clearly answer if your lease makes them responsible for the fee's fines making it right - if not - you're going to continue to learn the lesson and get them out at the end of lease - start over with a new lease :)

I agree with Scott that the proper lease is very important. I also agree with Scott that you should have a lawyer look at your lease. However, before doing that, I would strongly suggest that you ask the successful investors at your REIA for a copy of their leases. They will probably be happy to give you a copy. Read all the different leases from these successful investors. Take all the parts you like from each one and write up your own lease. Then, take that to your lawyer for his review/advice/improvement.

You might be suprised how different these different leases will be. Each will probably have things you haven't thought of and will really contribute to your new lease!

Good Luck,

Mike

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here