• Investor/Developer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
Can I kick her out?

Justin Hammond
  • Investor/Developer
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted Oct 1 2016, 13:27

I bought a house in Pleasant Grove, Utah recently. The seller had a "tenant" living with them, but no lease agreements were in place.

When I bought it, I told her I may be able to let her stay there while I remodeled it, but with the understanding that I could tell her to leave with a week's notice. 

After a couple days, I searched her on Facebook. One status caught my eye:

"I'm thinking one last huge rager at my house on Friday October 14th before I have to move out. I want everyone there and bring everything and everyone. Let's go big or go home hahaaa! Mark your calendars!"

followed by numerous comments between her and her friends plotting to make this party pretty destructive.

I immediately texted her and told her that plans have changed, and she needed to be out of the house in a week. 

She told me she was going to be out of town all week and couldn't possibly move out (which I confirmed was true).

I ended up giving her two extra days and telling her that if she didn't arrange for everything to be out of there by the deadline, that I would take all her stuff to a storage unit.

MY QUESTION is... 

Do I have to legally evict her from the property if she won't cooperate? Do I have the right to haul her stuff to a storage unit? Since there was no rent/lease agreement? 

I would highly appreciate answers!!

Loading replies...