Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Dana R.
  • San Clemente, CA
Votes |
Other landlords rejected applicant- Is there something wrong?

Dana R.
  • San Clemente, CA
Posted Oct 17 2016, 02:08

I have a applicant who's pretty eager to rent my place because several other places have already turned him down in favor of other applicants. I think the applicant has been looking for at least two months since he had a copy of a tenant screening report from two months ago, and even had a agent helping him.

But, since he hasn't found a place yet that accepted his application, is this a red flag?

And, is there anything in his application that's a red flag as to why you'd reject the application or was it just poor luck that there other landlords chose another applicant?

Credit score is fine, above 650 although there was 1 negative item- a debt collector creditor for a type collection account whose status is in collections. This was last updated a few months ago and it doesn't show anything for current balance but high balance was a thousand dollars.  

Current rent he's paying is much lower than my rent, but income seems sufficient to pay my rent.

Income is 3X month's rent, but he's a business owner so there's no pay stubs or anything like that to verify that. He provided income statement from his business, but I don't how valid that is. But, he did provide earnings statement ADP and a balance from his credit union to show there's good balance in that account. Do you think that's enough information I need for a independent business man?

The good thing is he's stayed at current SFH rental for a long time, and before that he owned a home. But, that means you can't pull the trick of checking with previous landlord for references if the current landlord might not be honest in their assessment. And, the current landlord's references will be positive because he said he's renting it from his friend.

I'm trying to figure out if there's something I'm missing as to why he couldn't find a place already if his income and credit are sufficient.  

Loading replies...