Handling HALF-COCKED Contractors.......????

6 Replies

How do you deal with contractors in your management???  It's an art in itself, and a whole different skill aside from the landlording.....

You're LUCKY if you already have a team of trusted contractors.....

And I thought I did.....

I've used the same reputed local plumber for a bunch for my units.....

Long story SHORT, he HAD to finish the job that day but only did HALF of it, still leaking a bit after.....

The in-house engineer of the condo building tells me, he can do it for $40 bucks and he has the parts already.....

How do I go back to the old contractor, cut him off for his half-done job and handle the payment????....... 

@Atwan Kwan

Since you used this plumber in the past, and he is reputable, approach him and ask him what is going on ? why is it only 1/2 finished and hold him accountable for it.

If he blows you off, or give you some excuse, then tell him what your plan is if he doesn't fix it properly. 

At least you give him a chance to explain the situation, before you cut him off. It could be a simple misunderstanding. 

@Chris T.  Thanks Chris - I tried to be brief in OP, but yes I'd give my original plumber another chance..... they're not cheap and his reasoning was that the part (the cartridge) needed to be ordered so he only changed the diverter at the time..... I guess, it's reasonable, but I met the condo in-house engineer and he pretty much said he could do it for $40 and he has the cartridge in stock.....

I'm a little annoyed my plumber didn't get it done despite me briefing him on everything well before-hand, although I'm not sure if there's any fault anyway......

wat would you do?

@Atwan Kwan

If you already given him a 2nd chance. Then tell him what you plan to do if he doesn't fix it asap.

The issue is he might not accept partial payment and file a lien against your property. Now, I am not familiar how that works, but I do know if it gets to that situation, it's more about ego than anything else. 

I am not sure how much you pay him for the job, but I say it's not worth the extra hassle and time of going through that - if it comes to it. 

Sometimes you have to choose your battles, and move on from people like this plumber once it is over. 

And if your condo-in-house engineer somehow messes up, and claims it's the plumber's fault, who do you hold accountable then? The plumber for its initial work? or the engineer ? 

good point.... 

I just don't want to be jacked on my prices, like everyone else. As a PM I try to pride my business on saving clients money..... and unsure how I feel about this.....

but i definitely like your point to pick my battles..... win some, lose some and move on

@Chris T. Thanks for suggestion, I called my plumber back, presented how the owner and the tenant were giving me pressure and he said he understood and he would just let it go if the owner would rather go with the in-house engineer....

Obviously he had no reason to lie from the start..... this Helps me further go with my plumber for my future jobs and maintained the relationship....

@Atwan Kwan

You're most welcomed! That's a great strategy, good cop/bad cop. Make the owner and tenant look "bad" while you're the good cop. Everyone saves a little face. 

win/win/win.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.