Votes
Amber Spence
  • Jupiter, FL
Votes |
Need advice and input on management company situation

Amber Spence
  • Jupiter, FL
Posted Oct 27 2016, 09:42
Hello, We have a rental home (was our personal home) and hired a management company to professionally manage. Per our lease agreement our tenants were to provide a 60 day notice and our management company sold us on the fact they advertise a property for 60 days in advance as well. So aug 1 st our tenants gave notice to vacate on sept 30 in accordance to our agreement. Then mid aug we get a notice from our management company that the tenants would like to extend their lease 60 days until nov 30th. We agreed pending a walk through (that's wasn't completed until one week later). So toward the end of August we agreed to extend 60 days and our management company advised they would take care of it and send of an addendum. Flash forward another 2-3 weeks to September 16th we get notice from the management company the extension was never signed and tenants will be vacating at original notice date of 9/30. As you can understand my husband and I were left in shock as we thought this was handled and only leaving us 14 days to advertise/re-rent the property instead of our advised 60 days. The management company scrambled to advertise the property again and posted ads before our review (so we never got to increase rent) I should also mention our house rented in 3 days the first time around, it's a nice house in a nice area and fabulous school zone. Fast forward, we have planned on the standard vacancy cost but because of the failure to advertise we won't have tenants moving in until 11/20 giving us a 6 week vacancy or 3k! We feel the management company should split the vacancy cost (or some sort of retritubition)with us since it was their mistake but they do not feel they've done anything wrong and they said 'we can't force someone to sign an agreement' but from our point of view we feel 2 weeks of no signature is cause for concern or at least to communicate with us. Has anyone ever experienced this or have any thought and feedback that can help us? Thank you! Amber

Loading replies...