Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Chris Virgil-Stone
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Help! Picking the right applicant is HARD!

Chris Virgil-Stone
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cape Coral, FL
Posted Oct 31 2016, 05:18

So I know this is a good problem to have. I have 3 applicants who I would most likely rent to. I still need to run background checks. Here’s the good and bad on each:

Applicant 1:

Older lady (likely to stay longer), has one dog so I can charge pet deposit, will have son living with her temporarily, no debt, college educated, doesn't work but receives VA benefits and SS, volunteers at hospice and local church school, no debt. Her income is a couple hundred below my requirement of 3x rent but is willing to put a higher deposit down or buy down the rent. Does not have prior landlord references as she has been taking care of her late mothers home.

Applicant 2:

Younger couple with good jobs, new to the area so new with their employers (1-2 mo), no kids, no pets, college educated, put on application that they plan to live their 1 year.

Applicant 2:

Younger couple with good jobs, been with their employers a while, wants me to fence in yard but willing to help pay for it, has 1 dog, no kids, college educated, put on application that they plan to live their 1 year.

I have good feelings on all of them, however the younger couples who put only 1 year on the application worry me as tenant turnover is where I spend the most money. Any feedback and advice is much appreciated.

Loading replies...