Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Steven Maduro
  • Decatur, GA
Votes |
Is the lazy landlord getting too lazy???

Steven Maduro
  • Decatur, GA
Posted Nov 2 2016, 05:50

Hi everyone 

It's time for another addition to the Lazy Landlord series.  I am currently doing three simultaneous renovations.  It probably would have been better to do one at a time .  But three simultaneous vacancies sort of pushed me to get them all done as soon as possible. 

The projects ranged from floor repairs, paint, fencing, exterior repairs, cabinet painting, deck construction, and trim work,

Being the lazy landlord that I am I decided to farm out 90% of this work . 

I settled on two contractors one who  was detailed neat but not too fast 

The other who was fast and reasonable but not detailed and left a little to be desired.

One of the first things that I learned about doing such large scale renovations is that it seems to be better to pay for the various jobs separately. Contractors seem to like to choose which jobs they tackle on their time line and according to how they feel.

By you segmenting the job you control which items get done first and you can monitor the craftsmanship and attention to detail of the work completed.

You learn which contractors to use where in the future. 

I really thought that I was going to tackle all of the painting but I have decided to farm the painting out as well.

Is this being too lazy? 

I can paint!!! 

But I am talking about the entire interior of two houses and one apartment. 

Including baseboards and doors 

Is it worth the expense?

Well we will see 

I will meet with the painter today to discuss terms pricing and time line 

Stay tuned for how this works out

Loading replies...