Rental Property Flooring

13 Replies

Hey Everyone,

We got a great deal on a SFH to use as a long term rental and are working through the repairs with my contractor. My contractor flips houses too and has been very helpful in terms of the repairs we need to make it a great rental. All of the flooring has to be replaced and I had indicated I wanted laminate flooring in all but the bedrooms. He suggested I look into LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tiles) instead of laminate. Does anyone have experience with this and do you think it is a good choice for a rental. Since I have to do all of the flooring now, I want to do it in a way that will hold up the best with renters. The house is pretty much all carpet now except for vinyl in the kitchen. Thanks for the feedback.

John

@John McAuley I have installed LVT in several of my properties.  So far I have been very please.  My only regret was I didn't use it throughout the entire house.  I think I am done install carpet, even in the bedrooms! LVT is more expensive then carpet, but it should last a long time.  The biggest advantage it has over laminate is its ability to handle water.  It won't swell up and buckle like laminate.  Pricing for material should be about the same as laminate.  The labor cost should be similar or cheaper since a saw blade isn't required.  I would recommend installing that stuff throughout the house.

I have put this in 2 units and am pleased. The last unit we used one from Lumber Liquidators. it is very nice.

Thanks for the feedback!  I was thinking about installing it throughout the house and the only reason I was using carpet in the bedrooms is because everyone says that people want carpet in them.  I think I'm with you and I'll install LVT everywhere and be done with it.  Thanks again @Christian Bors

Hey John,

We use Allure Vinyl plank. You can get a variety of patterns and the stuff is pretty resistant. I would highly recommend it because a torn up piece is pretty easy to replace as well with the help of a utility knife. 

Super simple to install and reasonably inexpensive. 

Originally posted by @John McAuley :

Thanks for the feedback!  I was thinking about installing it throughout the house and the only reason I was using carpet in the bedrooms is because everyone says that people want carpet in them.  I think I'm with you and I'll install LVT everywhere and be done with it.  Thanks again @Christian Bors

Also, HD and lowes will have LVT for sale in nov (holiday sales) for 99 cents per square ft. Stock up! 

Another vote for the lvt, click lock costs more but well worth it...we give a big pack of felt protectors to tenants as they move in to put on furniture legs to protect the floor...and tell them to use them.

@Marian Smith Great idea for the welcome gift! Do you find that it scratches easily, or is this just to general "tenant proof" the place?

Both lvt and laminate are pretty durable but both can scratch...providing the felt is a cheap insurance policy. I also provide 6 pleated hvac filters.  I want them to know the floors and hvac are important to me and give them no excuse to fail to maintain them.  

After pulling up ugly brown carpet that was throughout this entire apartment( including the bathroom ) I painted the wood floors. Installed Shaw vinyl plank flooring from Lowes in the bath, kitchen and hall. Looks great and was very easy for me to install. 

I have gone from laminate to tiles and love every bit of it. Holds up very well to tenant abuse. But personally the best flooring for rentals is tenant screening ;)

Hey Guys, Friendly Contractor here. I would agree with all of the advice given. The LVT is a better option over laminate and easy to repair. But remember that styles change often so grab an extra box to stick in the basement for future repairs.  I do like the allure by traffic master. Its is D.I.Y Friendly. You only need a razor knife, tape measure and a straight edge.  It is a floating floor system each tile self adhesives to the next unlike the older cheaper peel and stick. I am not sure what you are covering but here in KC we save every hard wood floor we can. That is the ultimate option if possible. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.