Renting to Dog Owners

3 Replies

What does everyone think about renting to pet owners. I was thinking dogs, specifically. :pup:

Other then a dog deposit, are there things to demand from the tenant? Do you interview the owner and pet to check the pet out? CAn you do that? I'd love to hear any other thoughts on tenants with pets.

I used to rent to dog owners, but not cat owners, I'm allergic to cat hair so it was an absolute with me. If prospective tenants would ask on the phone, do you allow pets? I used my favorite screening question: "What kind of PET OWNER are you?" Invariably they would reply; "She's a housebroken shi tzuh or something."

No, I didn't ask about the animal, I asked about YOU! I'd rather have 2 gorillas with a responsible owner than a parakeet with an irresponsible owner!

Do you have a veterinarian medical record showing all shots?

Do you have a county or city license?

Can you show me that your pet will mind you when you give it verbal commands?

A no to any of these killed the deal, and I'm a dog lover!

Oh year, security deposit is $2,000, at the the highest rent on any of my units was $1200/month.

all cash

Would you have a way of contacting their previous landlord as a reference? They'd know first-hand!

As far as I'm concerned previous landlords are next to worthless regarding information about someone that I'm about to hand keys to a $150,000 asset.

It's quicker, easier and much more reliable to use my screening questions as stated above. Again, the wrong answer kills the deal, the right answer still must be verified, by ME.

What kind of PET OWNER are you?

Do you have a veterinarian medical record showing all shots?

Do you have a county or city license?

Can you show me that your pet will mind you when you give it verbal commands?

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.