Votes
Renee R.
  • Sandown, NH
Votes |
Applicant has no email address and red flags

Renee R.
  • Sandown, NH
Posted Nov 13 2016, 06:39

I posted an available unit on Craigslist and was contacted by the son of a possible applicant because the father has no email address. I did my standard phone screening and also told the son that if the father applies, I have to have an email in order to do a SmartMove background check—absolutely required for all my applicants. Is there any way to get a background check without an email address?

There are a few red flags here, so I'm proceeding cautiously. 1) the unit is a 3 Bdrm, but son says only the father would live there; 2) the unit is $1,300/mo, $400-$500 more expensive than 1 and 2 Bdrm units currently on Craigslist; 3) the son’s email is in poor English, like it’s not his first language, but when I spoke by phone with the father, his English was perfect. Does that seem odd? (I’m bringing a big guy with me to the showing today.)

The son also stated that the father is disabled—so I'm being very careful about what I say. I suspect when he sees the steep stairs to the second floor, he’ll decline to apply. Due to nondiscrimination laws, I realize I need to let him decide what he can handle, so I haven’t mentioned the stairs, except to say it’s a two-floor unit, plus a full basement with laundry. The father said “Oh that’s nice” —so stairs don’t appear to be a problem.

Any suggestions? Am I over-thinking this?

Loading replies...