General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Brandi Young
Votes |
Landlording: Strict vs Not Strict

Brandi Young
Posted Aug 3 2008, 11:01

My brother-in-law has a completely different landlording style than I do and despite all my efforts over the years he still refuses to enforce his own lease. Yesterday it almost landed him in jail.

His tenant decided to not pay rent for a while and like he does with all his tenants he failed to post a pay or quit notice and get the eviction process started. After a month and a half of dodged phone calls, the tenant finally decided to move and told my brother-in-law they would be out by Saturday and that he could start showing it on Sunday.

The tenants did not give him his keys back so he had to drill the lock to get in. As you may have guessed the place was in no condition to be shown. It needed some clean up and the tenants had left a small amount of personal belongings inside.

He placed all of their belongings neatly outside the front door and began to clean. The tenant showed up while he was cleaning and was furious! She began screaming at him and accused him of breaking in. She even told him he had no right to be there as it was still "her house".

After about 20 minutes of her ranting and raving she decided to call the police. Seems there was a box of jewelry that was left in the house that was now missing.

The police arrive and the woman starts screaming at the officer. I suppose that was good news for my brother-in-law because the officer ended up cuffing her and putting her in the squad car to shut her up.

When all was said and done and everyone was calmed down, the officer advised my brother-in-law to get something in writing and signed by the tenant stating that they relinquish the property back to him.

The part that dumbfounds me is that even after that wonderful advice - he failed to get anything in writing! Hopefully this little story does not have another chapter - but it very well might.

Lessons for all:
1. Always post an eviction notice on the first date it is legal to do so according to your local laws.
2. Always enforce your lease - that is why you have one in the first place.
3. Only trust your tenants as far as you can physically pick them up and throw them.
4. Listen to the warnings of your very smart and wise sister-in-law. :D

Rant over.

Loading replies...