Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Bryce Litwin
  • Danville, PA
Votes |
Tenant wants to terminate lease early...

Bryce Litwin
  • Danville, PA
Posted Dec 18 2016, 07:27

Hello All, New Member With A Question,

I'm hoping to tap the collective wisdom about our situation.  We (myself and spouse) are relatively new to landlording, say between 1-2 years (5+ years if you include renting to family/friends though - not the best idea).  We are renting a small house which we previously lived in to two young men in their 20's.  They had good credit, references, background checks, etc.  We have recently received a text message asking about a buyout option for the lease from one of them.  The lease runs through the end of April.  He has apparently taken a job out of the area to start Feb 1st.  We have not heard from the roommate, but doubt he would want to or could afford the place on his own.  So, they want to get out of the lease early and at the absolute worst time of the year for us to find another qualified tenant.  We are in PA.  So, I'm curious if most Landlords would offer a buyout option to them or just inform them that they have signed a legal contract through the end of April and will be responsible for the rent until then unless or until we can find another qualified tenant.  I should mention they have pets and there has been some damage and they have made some unauthorized modifications as well.  

Thanks!

Bryce

Loading replies...