Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Do you pool reserves for all your properties?

Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Posted Dec 30 2016, 22:15

For example, I set aside a specific amount for each rental. Each year it comes out to about 7,500 in reserves to cover vacancy, maintenance, for each of a small handful of rentals (let's say 3). It's really rare I have to touch it. An odd repair of a $100 here and there, that's about it. A little bit of vacancy, that's about it. Of course it is set aside for anything damage deposits don't cover, and cap ex, though I'm leaning toward flipping every few years to avoid cap ex, as it will eat you alive if you hold forever. I'd hate to have to spend 30K on a new roof, 40K on a kitchen remodel, 15K per bathroom on EACH bathroom remodel, paint, carpets, etc. as it needs updating over 30 years...

I figure pooling it is kosher since there I operate the rentals like a multifamily as a single owner. Thoughts? To date I'd say I have yet to spend more than $1,000 on repairs, capex or vacancy combined per year so far. In four years...But I have two roof replacements coming up. If I sell next year I may perhaps come out even further ahead by keeping these extra 6.5K each year...

Loading replies...