• Attica, MI
Votes |
Problem Renter Advice Needed

Dianna Marble
  • Investor
  • Attica, MI
Posted Jan 10 2017, 08:36

Hello!

I have renters in our unit for the past 5 months. They signed a 6 month lease with us. Last month, while paying rent, one of the tenants told me that they were considering not staying the full 6 months and that he would let me know what they decide to do. I thanked him for telling me and asked him to let me know if they decide to break the lease. They have been pretty good tenants up until now, they are late on paying rent this month. He did let me know ahead of time that they would be late this month and I again thanked him for telling me and let him know how much rent would be with late fees on the date he said they would be paying. 

Because he told me they had to pay late, I contacted the utility companies to see if they were also late with those bills, and they were. I contacted them to tell them to pay the utility bills immediately, and yes, I did it in a kind way. He then proceeded to tell me that he felt I was threatening him and being hostile and he tried to tell me that they were not late on other bills. So, I gave him the amounts they were late and the due dates that they missed and assured him that I was in no way being threatening or hostile. So, that is kind of the back story...

The advice I need is on the upcoming months. If they don't pay when they are supposed to, do I go ahead and give them an eviction notice? The guy has tried to intimidate me before with wanting to pay less rent before signing the lease, which I did not allow and then again when he told me I was being threatening and hostile. I'm a little concerned that they will move out early and not tell us or that they will attempt to stay without paying rent. Also, they have pets, which we had them pay extra for each month, but I know all the carpets will need to be cleaned and deodorized when they move out. Do I take the carpet cleaning costs out of their security deposit? Also, what other costs am I allowed to take out of the security deposit and, if they don't pay rent, am I allowed to take it out of the security deposit when they move out? 

Any (constructive) advice would be greatly appreciated. (Please be gentle as I am still very new to the investment property/rental business.) Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...