Help dealing with a neighbor throwing junk into my yard

Help dealing with a neighbor throwing junk into my yard

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes

We bought a rental property a month ago, and we want to be friends with all the neighbors. But - a neighbor that borders our lot along the back line has been throwing her trash (large items) into our yard.  

While we don't have proof that whatever junk we saw came from her, even though other neighbors tell us so, we have evidence of the last "load" belonging to her. I was taking pictures during our survey last month and one of the photos captured this junk sitting on her yard. Last week it was thrown into ours, and even tore off one of the survey stake ribbons. 

Does anyone have advice on how to handle this peacefully? 

As a Plan B - I would involve Code Enforcement Office. I already consulted with them and they can help, but this certainly wouldn't help establishing good relationships with this neighbor. 

Are there any other methods? 

The neighbors describe this lady being in her 40s and quite aggressive/confrontational. So, we expect our interaction to be difficult. For now my husband and I are thinking to visit her and ask her to clean up the last load of trash. We can even offer her to use our dumpster. If she doesn't open the door, we thought we'd leave a polite note with the same request and a deadline. If nothing is cleaned up by the deadline - then we call Code Enforcement. Does this plan sound reasonable?

Below are some photos. The first one was taken during survey and on the far right side you can see the junk on her yard, which later migrated to our lot. The other two photos were taken last week. 

Thank you!

0Reply
177 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Oxford, MI · Member since 2016 · 110 posts · 41 votes
9y
To her credit she may view that stuff as coming from your property originally. You are correct to think you should try to talk to her. You never know what she will say but definitely try to talk to her/them. If a issue like you suspect you wont be surprised. Maybe just deal with it but in dealing with it ask if she wants the stuff you moved and have set aside next to your dumpster since you last saw it over there before you toss it in. This sort of takes care of it and gives her a non confrontational way to say whatever but affirms you are a nice guy but not necessarily a fool.
See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Allentown, PA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 701 votes
    9y

    @Ludmila M.

    I would say first and foremost you should talk to the neighbor directly. However, given the small amount of garbage, I would probably just pick it up myself and put it in the dumpster. I don't have time to start feuds with neighbors. If it picked up in intensity, then certainly it needs to be stopped. Calling code enforcement is just going to end up in a he said-she said battle with nothing being resolved. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Thanks, @Mark Gallagher, that's how we feel too - we want to have a peaceful conversation. 

    In terms of small amount of garbage, it's actually not that small. I only posted photos of the last addition, but there is much more. We found a chain-saw, a shovel, paint cans, broken shutters, pieces of a treadmill, a bicycle, landscaping debris, etc.  We just don't have photographic evidence it came from her, only neighbor's stories.   But it's different with the last load, where we have evidence that the junk is hers.  

  • Investor · Oxford, MI · Member since 2016 · 110 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    To her credit she may view that stuff as coming from your property originally. You are correct to think you should try to talk to her. You never know what she will say but definitely try to talk to her/them. If a issue like you suspect you wont be surprised. Maybe just deal with it but in dealing with it ask if she wants the stuff you moved and have set aside next to your dumpster since you last saw it over there before you toss it in. This sort of takes care of it and gives her a non confrontational way to say whatever but affirms you are a nice guy but not necessarily a fool.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Allentown, PA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 701 votes
    9y

    @Ludmila M.

    If it is a lot of stuff, I would offer to send one of my guys over to clear out whatever garbage she needs moved out. It's hard to hate someone who helps you out. Plus, you'd be cleaning up her yard and improving your neighborhood. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Call the city, let them know shes throwing the stuff onto your property, 

    Even yard debris has to be properly cleaned up and can't be disposed of by dumping.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Ludmila M.

    Since you only know about the one set I would most likely get it all cleaned up myself. Post "Trespassing and Dumping" signs. Then throw up a trail camera.

    You only bought it a month ago and there is no real way of knowing what her arrangement with the previous owner was. What she will claim it was and so on. 

    Just my 2 cents and good luck!

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    You have already been informed the neighbour is "aggressive/confrontational". You do not need to know any more. You will not have a peaceful relationship under any circumstances if you intend to inform her she is not to use your property as a dumping ground.

    I would inform her that you are aware it came from her property but that this time you will clean it up. Simply state to her that you do not wish to see a repeat of the situation and leave it at that. Keep an eye on her property and take regular pictures to identify what is on her property in the event it migrates to yours in the future. If it happens again call code enforcement.

  • Rockford, IL · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 48 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike Cumbie:

    Hi @Ludmila M.

    Since you only know about the one set I would most likely get it all cleaned up myself. Post "Trespassing and Dumping" signs. Then throw up a trail camera.

    I was going to suggest a trail camera as well.  Just be sure to mount it where it isn't conspicuous.  

  • Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    Hi @Ludmila M.,

    Great question by the way! I see a lot of great suggestions here so I will keep mine short.

    I am a beliver that you can overcome any situation positively. One thing I noticed nobody suggested is by approching the issue by having good conversation and not by force or law. Maybe try asking your neighbour the reason for dumping her garbage onto your land. Or if it was not her, maybe it was her kids throwing stuff in the back? You just can't be sure of the situation. I would try to understand her point of view first before taking measures to "catch her in the act" and having a law inforcement agency deal with the situation. But not just ask questions about her point of view, I mean really understand what is going on. Why do this? Because you will now have the full knowledge of her issues as well, and are not guessing what is happening, and you may be able to offer a solution to stop the junk being thrown onto your yard.

    I would approach the conversation with her like this:

    - Knock on door

    - Person answers the door

    - "Hi, my name is Corey, I am your new neighbour and I just wanted to intriduce myslef and get to know my neighbours personally and hopefully start on a good note with everyone"

    - Conversation happens here

    - "Before I go, I just wanted to ask, there has been some items and garbage been thrown into my yard for the past couple of days, and I am not certain what is going on, and all I want to do is solve this issue peacefully, so I was wondering if you know of anyone doing this in the past or if it was for a particular reason?"

    Again, what you are trying to do is create positive conversation while addressing the issue at the same time. Anytime someone acts upset or goes quiet, this is a sign they do not feel safe and you need to make sure they know you are trying to help, and not hurt them.

    If you want to know how to speak to people about tough issues, and be successful at it I highly recommende this book called Crucial Conversations Book by Al Switzler, Joseph Grenny, Kerry Patterson, and Ron McMillan. 

    Good luck with resolving the issue!

  • Contractor · Glen Cove, NY · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 89 votes
    9y

    Do you think that she is dumping and is a serial dumper? Perhaps she is mentally ill? In any case just install a surveillance camera on a pole on your property. If she sees that perhaps she will think twice about dumping. It may not even be her. Could be another family member doing it. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2015 · 299 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    Mount a motion activate wildlife camera on a tree and and download the footage and give to the cops.   I had a neighbor dump their trash in my dumpster and the police made him climb in the dumpster and remove it all.  Told him next time he will get a ticket!

  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    9y

    Good fences make good neighbors (Frost).... 

    Looks like the short, friendly chain link could use a boost. 

    For example, the highest (6ft, etc) allowed solid fence (wood) might be worth the investment in this case. But check your relevant rules,codes, etc. Harder to heave heavy items over the top of one of those (but you could still get small stuff).. 

    And I like the notion of a friendly little happy face sign on your side but above the top rail "Smile you are Camera"......Then there are some good camera on a pole ideas above. 

    If I dealt with this person at all, I would not be confrontational but go with "kill them with kindness" angle and I would even act like I did not know/suspect it was her but that "somebody must have been tossing trash over" and ask her to tell help me if she sees anyone so we can identify the culprit and contact the authorities. Mention it looks like the violators may even be trespassing on her lot (keep a straight face). If she asks about the fence/camera, let her know how you will now be able to stop this and get evidence to stop the illegal dumping and use criminal and civil means.

    Focus on the problem/behavior not the person. Avoid the conflict if you can. Neighbor conflicts seldom end well even if you "win" (win being in quotes as you still may have to see them or think of them every single time you are there; and she may drive you nuts complaining excessively about your tenants, getting in conflicts with them, etc so even a win on this battle could just be the start of a longer war)....

    You may have just found out one of the reasons the prior owner sold. Try and avoid making it a reason you have to bail out too.

    Best of luck.

  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 900 posts · 392 votes
    9y

    My first instinct would be to throw it throw it through her window. Though that might get you in trouble. 

    The door knock to ask why she is doing this is a start, see what her reason is. If she is confrontational I would immediatly set up 1 or 2 good quality cameras and a recorder and get it on video. I would also follow the other advice and post the no dumping signs on your fence facing hers, and if she pulls this again, I would go straight to code enforcement and the police and charge her with illegal dumping. 

    Let us know how it goes. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    That actually happened to me the neighborhood was throwing broken furniture over a block wall into my yard I took a picture of the wicker furniture in her yard and it matched what was thrown it my yard. I threw the trash back over and knocked on their door They never answered but I never got trash again.I don't know if being over 6 feet helped my cause.FYI killing with kindness rarely works

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    9y
  • Contractor · Glen Cove, NY · Member since 2016 · 209 posts · 89 votes
    9y

    I am not new nut to hostile nut jobs. This is why I flip and do not rent. I have all transactions through an attorney and allow for that in my business plan. I do not give my phone or address out willingly. I filter all phone calls and have good cameras set up that take clear video in all lighting conditions just in case. Best 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Sid Leibowitz, this is a lesson for me for sure. I am also protective of my privacy and try to be careful with people I don't know. But I never had to deal with a nut case like this. The thought of flipping this house did cross my mind after the incident, and the rehab I'm doing will support such strategy. However, I would like to hold on for now due to fantastic location and top of the line schools.   

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    I suggest that you place signs along the back of your property with no trespassing and no dumping. Make sure the signs say violators will be prosecuted.

    At this point you simply need to respond to her in kind, she will understand and likley stay away. This is not a neighbour you will ever get to know and hopefully will never have contact with again. Being as yours is a rental property that should not be a problem.

    Remember my first post......

    "You have already been informed the neighbour is "aggressive/confrontational". You do not need to know any more".

  • Rental Property Investor · Flagstaff AZ · Member since 2016 · 64 posts · 49 votes
    9y

    I had a similar situation very recently where I had a folk up dumpster at property for some between lease updating.  The dumpster was placed on the side of the property that is alongside an alleyway. One of the neighbors also on the alley started using the dumpster for their personal garbage. 
    I err on the side of not stirring up trouble because a few bags of garbage is nothing compared to what could happen if I call them out on it. Someone who would those their garbage onto someone else's property clearly has no respect for others so I would not be surprised to start finding broken windows etc at the site.  

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Thomas S., you had a crystal ball :). We just never imagined it can be so bad.

    I did order the signs already, exactly the type you suggested. Now shopping for a trail camera (actually 2). 

    My husband still not convinced we should proceed with Code Enforcement, as he thinks it could escalate into something worse.  He is leaving the decision up to me, and I don't see how not addressing the issue would help us or future tenants.  I gave myself two days to process and let the emotions settle. I still think Code Enforcement is my best option.  

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    @Ludmila M. I would save my receipt when I hauled the trash to the dump and take her to small claims court for reimbursement. She is crazy and your best move here is to put the wrath down on her, so she is put in her place. If you think that passively sitting by will make this better, you are making a big mistake. Crazy people are only deterred by people that they thing are crazier than they are. Definitely get the cameras installed right away. Catching her on camera is helpful. I would also replace that 4 foot fence with a 6 or 8 foot fence (tallest allowed by zoning).

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    9y

    @Ludmila M. one other thing - I would make sure you introduce yourself to all the other neighbors. Be super nice to all of them. As if there is anything at your property that they think needs attention (tree or bush trimming, painting, etc.) Let them know that you want to get good tenants into the property and if they have any trouble to call you right away. My guess is they will open a conversation about the crazy neighbor and they will help you keep a look out for her causing trouble.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    I just dealt with something similar yesterday, but on a smaller scale.  Beer cans and wrappers around my porch and on my window sill from the neighbor over the weekend.

    One of them was outside when I pulled in.  "Hi, how's it going?  I'm sure you didn't mean to, but could you help me get rid of this stuff?  I don't even have garbage service yet and I'd really appreciate it."   He apologized, walked over and picked it all up.  A lot of people live there and I doubt it was his, but now I have an ally anyway.

    I may try the 'I'm sure you didn't meant to' approach if I were you at first.  Otherwise I'd throw their crap back to their side of the yard and install a camera like you were thinking.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Joe Splitrock, thank you for your response, very timely as I am trying to eliminate all what-ifs about going after her.  

    We are still undecided regarding the fence, it's just going to be a large expense on top of already depleted budget. My lot line along her property is quite long.  But I am not saying no to it, just hesitant at this point.  

    In terms of your second post - introducing ourselves to the neighbors - we already done that and people seem to like us. We first dropped letters into everyone's mailboxes introducing ourselves, and then met everyone personally whenever we had a chance.  One of the neighbors had an encounter with this lady too on a separate issue and now is terrified to piss her off. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Hi @Steve Vaughan,

    You probably missed my update to the initial post. We attempted the hi-how-it's-going approach, and that caused us to be nearly physically kicked out of her property, followed by two police cars that she called in on us. Nope, nice way is out now.

    But I am not going to return the trash to her yard either, just for personal physical safety. She is a bodybuilder, let's just stop there.  So, I'd rather address this via legitimate routs :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.