Votes
Tyler Lokietek
  • Buffalo, NY
Votes |
Applying for Property Management position questions/advice

Tyler Lokietek
  • Buffalo, NY
Posted Feb 20 2017, 18:30

Hello all, I was searching for jobs and came across a listing for a property manager for 100 units. The listing didn't have a lot of information but just stated, "Seeking a professional to manage 100 units in Fredonia. Must have exceptional marketing and leasing skills, strong organization skills and be a clear communicator. Must be able to lead and direct maintenance personnel and process payables, timesheets and handle resident accounts." 

First things first, I don't have any experience in this field yet, so I'm wondering if this is too big of a feat to take on for my first attempt, or would using software to automate things make it possible to manage this many units? I was looking at buildium and appfolio and they seem to make things pretty automated. Would using one of these software be something I can have the owner pay for? I don't have information yet, I will monitor this post and also update what I find out about the job, but it's most likely an apartment complex, this is a small college town.

I was also wondering if this is a position that would put me on the owners payroll and so I wouldn't need to start my own property management business?

I do a lot of research and education so I have confidence in myself that I can take on a position like this, it's just the size of the portfolio that I question with my lack of experience. So I'm just asking for any advice anyone may have first off getting this job and making sure I state the right talking points, as well as any first steps to take if I land this position. I'm always educating so I know if I come across something I don't know I'll either read it somewhere or post on this wonderful site. I think this is a great opportunity for myself as I kick off my investing. I figured I could house hack a multi family student rental, make some side cash off of that, and then have a day job that gets me involved in real estate all day. Any and all advice on property management is welcome! 

Thanks!

Loading replies...