• Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Forced to live with a violent tenant?

Dewain J.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Feb 21 2017, 12:09

I have a colleague of mine, who has rented out two rooms in his house to a mother and son (adult son). Recently she has decided to start acting out, after 8 years of living there and never having any problems. She's resorted to intentionally running up utilities and running the washing machine and dryer for one item. Leaving lights and things like that running all night and day for no reason. Real weird stuff. 

Over the weekend the mother flipped out and ransacked the place, stripped naked and flashed the home owner. Destroyed property of both the homeowner and her own son. Ultimately she ended up physically assaulting him. He had to leave the home to ensure things didn't escalate.  

They ended up having to 302 her, (involuntary commit her), so she wouldn't harm anyone else or herself. The homeowner went to the courts to file for eviction today, but somewhere along the way, he was told that he had to let her back into his home. I could see if this was just an argument or disagreement, but once things get physical I think there has to be some recourse for him. He probably doesn't feel comfortable going to sleep in his own home because who knows what she might do. Any recommendations, (besides not renting out rooms in your home lol)? 

Loading replies...