Votes
Alex Passaoera
  • Glen Ridge, NJ
Votes |
Cat lady that comes with the property question

Alex Passaoera
  • Glen Ridge, NJ
Posted Feb 28 2017, 10:55
Hello I am thinking about buying a 2 family multi in NJ. This would be my first rental property. The place is great, not a lot of work needed. The only real problem is the current tenant. She has lived in the apartment downstairs for 8 years and is currently month to month with the current owner since he is trying to sell. She has 3 cats and probably feeds others in the neighborhood. Her apartment reeks of cats (mostly food but probably some piss) and it is noticeable in the entryway. Her apartment is undervalued and the rent could be raised a good 300 to bring it up to market value for what she gets. She is stable with payment, the current owner let her rent stand for the past 4 years without raising it just because she is reliable. Question is how would you guys deal with that? Kick her out and deep clean the place? Raise her rent and try to minimize the smell? It seems to me the cats are slowly but surely devaluing the whole place but like i said, this would be my first rental property so i need some advise. Thanks.

Loading replies...