Open Up Kitchen And Lose Cabinet Space?

Open Up Kitchen And Lose Cabinet Space?

Homeowner · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 16 votes
Getting ready to start the renovation process in my small 1 bed, 1 bath rental unit. It's a townhouse in a good neighborhood. It's only 540 sq/ft total living space so trying to make it feel bigger. Thinking if I should open up the wall between the kitchen and living area and have a longer bar top. Only issue would be that I would lose my only big cabinet on the top and not sure where glasses and dishes would be stored. What do you guys recommend, Leave it as is or open it up? [URL=http://s146.photobucket.com/user/PearlWhiteGT/media/E471C25A-A24F-47CD-B97D-D55C2312708D_zps1qldx0wn.jpg.html][IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r278/PearlWhiteGT/E471C25A-A24F-47CD-B97D-D55C2312708D_zps1qldx0wn.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://s146.photobucket.com/user/PearlWhiteGT/media/2E540087-B989-47AC-A413-2C283B056B09_zps4zqakdpb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r278/PearlWhiteGT/2E540087-B989-47AC-A413-2C283B056B09_zps4zqakdpb.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://s146.photobucket.com/user/PearlWhiteGT/media/4591D609-3BB5-4691-89FB-472CA9C358B1_zps4bkgjlhd.jpg.html][IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r278/PearlWhiteGT/4591D609-3BB5-4691-89FB-472CA9C358B1_zps4bkgjlhd.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://s146.photobucket.com/user/PearlWhiteGT/media/C83435F7-C25C-43A1-B39F-DEAFD8E55155_zpsnoyrpufn.jpg.html][IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r278/PearlWhiteGT/C83435F7-C25C-43A1-B39F-DEAFD8E55155_zpsnoyrpufn.jpg[/IMG][/URL] [URL=http://s146.photobucket.com/user/PearlWhiteGT/media/BFDB24E7-D6ED-4E9C-8FE1-FBF5E158AF6E_zpsbwaweiee.jpg.html][IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r278/PearlWhiteGT/BFDB24E7-D6ED-4E9C-8FE1-FBF5E158AF6E_zpsbwaweiee.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 29 votes
9y
What if you took out the top part of the wall, added base cabinets to the other side of the existing base cabinets then put a big island/bar top over them. That will give you more counter and cabinet space then you have now and a place for people to eat. The cabinets don't have to be deep either. You can store a lot in a foot deep cabinet thats 6+ feet long.
See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    What if you took out the top part of the wall, added base cabinets to the other side of the existing base cabinets then put a big island/bar top over them. That will give you more counter and cabinet space then you have now and a place for people to eat. The cabinets don't have to be deep either. You can store a lot in a foot deep cabinet thats 6+ feet long.
  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Guevara M. What about taking the wall out as well as the fur-downs (above the top cabinets) and making the cabinets go all the way to the ceiling. It would make the Kitchen look bigger as well as giving you the open look and bigger bar. Bonus is more cabinet space than you have now.

    I might even go so far as to take out the fur-down above the bar and make the ceiling flat all the way to the living room. It makes the space seem more warm and inviting. You will only be losing the one cabinet but gaining the ones on the opposite wall higher up. Then maybe hang a pot hanger in that area for more space and updated look.

    Was that as clear as mud?

  • Investor · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    I like that idea as well. As long as there is no header there it won't be expensive to do.
  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    9y

    @Guevara M. I agree with @Zach Scheer and @Mike Reynolds.

    Here is a kitchen I'm doing now with a similar layout.  I made that counter top 36" so I could slide stools in.  If you eliminated that entrance in the right you could get a large peninsula in there.  Or you could make the peninsula bigger by putting 15" back to back under the peninsula 

  • Real Estate Investor · Plymouth, WI · Member since 2013 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Agree with Guevara Mike, but have you considered just removing both kitchen walls? You're not dealing with a lot of square footage, so the open concept will make it feel much larger. Then you'll be free to design a kitchen that makes sense for the space. 

    BTW - punch a few small holes and look inside the bulkheads before you destroy them. Builders often use kitchen bulkheads to hide pipes and wires. 

  • Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2015 · 409 posts · 214 votes
    9y

    that wall behind the sink is it bearing?

    if not tear it out and open that up to a full counter top space

    move that sink to the corner and add a couple uppers on the wall next to the area were the fridge use to set

    you could use a couple tall pantry cabs on the ends then you should have a nice kit layout with plenty of cab space

    enjoy

  • Homeowner · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    Thanks everyone for the replies. All great ideas. I'm definitely going to punch holes in them to see if anything is hiding in there before making my decision on what to do. Trying to keep cost low because I'm pretty much renovating the entire unit. I thought about just removing that wall in between the kitchen and living space and maybe adding some open shelves on the wall were the light switch is located to the right of the sink and then building a nice little rack for spices with a pot holder to attach to the opposite wall on the other side of the sink.
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Like the idea, you have thermostat on outside hall wall so wiring for that is consideraton as well as light switch on oppsite side for kitchen. You could box in a upright to accomidate the wiring like a support column.

    I'd keep the drop down that boxes the ceiling area of kitchen, 

    I'd keep sink in same location and just make the knee wall surround same height as counter opening now,  Add a wider counter top to the length of knee wall so it will make bar stools work. 

    A sink at the end of counter isn't the way to go the dishwasher would also need to be moved and it limits the nitch for coffee maker next to the wall.

    I wouldn't hang any spice rack or stuff it's a rental and doesn't need that.

    The Fridge, stove side is basic, set up correctly with base cabinet in between appliances, it utilizes space well and fridge opening is still large enough to fit a wider fridge. 

    You don't need bookcase either. 

    I think you'll love it.. 

  • Homeowner · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    Thanks. Wasn't sure if losing the bookcase would be an issue with potential tenants. Should I still install some open shelves on the wall where the light switch is located?
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Lowes has a kitchen design planner you can do online for free.. take measurements of space and lay it out. drop in cabinets, appliances, it's so fun to see what the space looks like before you hack it up.. 

    It's awesome.. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Lots of great ideas here.

    Will any of them allow you to raise rents?

    If not - don't do it.

  • Homeowner · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    I'll be able to increase rent from $600 to $875-$900 with all the renovations we're doing. The guy doing most of the work isn't going to charge me anything to open up that one wall if I choose to. Just have to purchase materials needed.
  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    9y
    Max Tanenbaum has a good question. It's not that easy to answer correctly. Depends on the market and how much you spend and how the market responds to your Reno. Here's what I got on my last two and expect in my current reno. 2012 I spent 80k turning a large 1 bedroom with a dining room into a modern three bedroom with HVAC. Raised the rent from 1050 to 2700. Took over 4 years to get my money back. 2016 spent 60k to make a 1 bedroom into a modern 2 bed with Hvac. Raised rents from 1400-2800. A little less than 4 years to even. 2017 in the process(photos above) of turning a 1 bedroom in to two bedroom with duplex down style rec room with an added bath. 40k....getting better at the renos!!!! rent was 2850 in this one I'm shooting for 3800 but we'll see On the sales side in my area buyers will pay 15 times NOI for an investment property. So for the first two renos I spent 140k when I goto sell I will see about 500k increased sales price. I also made my life a bit easier. With renovated Apt's I was able to get the best tenants in the market at that time. When I show an apt I get a lot of calls/emails. I can sift through and look for the good tenants. In that 80k I also replaced three oak staircases and painted all the hallways....made the common spaces more sleek and easy to maintain. I moved every Apt's electrical box into the unit. Having individual Hvac lowers my utilities long term and while it's pricey again it allows me to have better tenants. It's easy to spend money. I would look around at what the other landlords are doing and try to be slightly better in finishes. If they are over the top then maybe go slightly below but for a more affordable rent. One of the things I discovered that I think makes my business better is Ikea cabinets. Look into them if your looking to streamline your kitchen process.
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @John Hickey I'd say if you're making your money back in 5 years or less its a good idea.

    The other reason to renovate would be if it is necessary to keep pace with your market competition.

  • Homeowner · Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2008 · 199 posts · 16 votes
    9y
    Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I'll be able to make back all the money in 3 years or less. It's pretty much getting a complete makeover. I'm pretty excited to see how it's all going to turn out when complete.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.