• Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Tenants breaking lease early

Matt Moldenhauer
  • Investor
  • Springfield, MO
Posted Apr 13 2017, 05:56

I have a nice young married couple at one of my rentals that recently informed me they're breaking their lease because they're under contract on their first house. I didn't know they were in the market, although i'm not really surprised. I hate to see them go and am happy for them, but i'm wondering how to handle the deposit and last two months of their contract. I told them we would work something out. I don't really think i'll have a problem renting the place, as it's in a great neighborhood. My initial thoughts were to put it on the market early and let them show it. Let them out of their contract early and return their deposit, less any repairs(which i doubt there will be any). I know they could use the money with things at their new house. Something that popped into my head though is setting precedent and possible problems down the road. Say i had a less than desirable tenant that broke their lease and I wasn't as willing to work with them. Does anyone have any experience with this or opinions?? Thanks! 

Loading replies...