• Warwick, RI
Votes |
Question about interior inspection of your properties

Marc Belisle
  • Investor
  • Warwick, RI
Posted May 7 2017, 13:16

Hi all,

Do you inspect the interiors of your rental properties while occupied? It sounds like a great idea on paper to check on the condition of your property and see if the tenant is abusing the place. I was speaking to a property manager the other day who said they do them if requested but he strongly suggested not doing them for the following reason. 

He has found the outcome is usually heavily negative for the landlord in the end. For instance, last week the company gave notice for the landlord that an inspection would be done. The tenant was outraged, saying he pays for this to be his "home." The inspection went through and was uneventful for any significant findings. 

THE NEXT DAY the tenant gave notice he would be moving out as soon as contract allowed. Now the landlord will most likely have a vacancy for 1-2 months while the property is painted etc, a new search for tenants, and then filling it. 

As someone who has been reading a lot in preparation for becoming a landlord, I feel like it is very important to inspect the property from time to time so a problem can't fester for 1-2 years while you assume your property is being cared for appropriately; however, not if the cost to me will more often than not lead to an outcome like the one I explained.

What are your experiences with this and advice? 

Loading replies...