Skip to content
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Johanna Castel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jackson Heights, NY
Votes |
Ceiling collapsed - a little long sorry. Advise needed.

Johanna Castel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jackson Heights, NY
Posted Jul 6 2017, 06:50

Hi everyone. So I have a situation.
See I rent in a building and about two weeks ago I discovered a leak in the bathroom ceiling, right above our bathtub. I notified the super and he came to see it he said he will go and check something and come back. Never returned.  Then he came on a Wednesday (1 of my days off) checked some things, left the vacuum (he was vacuuming the water) said he will be back never came back or even asked that he needed access to the apartment. Every night husband and I would send him text messages letting him know the leak was still going on and that the ceiling was peeling a bit more each time. No reaction from him.

Fast forward a few days to Monday and when I get home there is this musty smell, so humid and not even the AC helped. My mom smelled poop. We thought the baby had farted or something. Ca,e to the bathroom to find that the ceiling collapsed. I was able to see the wood and everything. So disgusting. Texted the super and sent a picture. No response. Then I called him told him (this was like 8ish in the evening.) He was un-bothered. I told him that what if I was in the shower with my baby, he was like oh well those things happen. Just keep looking to see if the leak continues. No! Those things don't happen! I was so mad. Then my friend who works in a property management company and lives in the same building, told me that he needs to come and cover the hole. I called him back and he sounded a bit pist. I'm sorry I have a baby and that mold musty smell is back for her and for me cause of asthma.
So he came 30 mins saying he finally found the leak. How convenient. He had two weeks "looking for it and no success."

I emailed the office saying that I pay my rent for a safe place to live and they are not providing that for me. Now I still have a hole in my ceiling and the super hasn't really contacted me about fixing it. A plumber came yesterday to fix the pipe and I didn't even get an update and the vents are covered in cardboard because when they came to clean the vents they never returned to put the little window things on the vents. I told them that if I decided to end the lease early I shouldn't be penalize and that I would contact my attorney. Now do I even have a reason to contact an attorney?

Loading replies...