Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sean Peters
  • Los Altos, CA
Votes |
Lease Expiring - Landlord/Tenants Rights - Clarification Needed

Sean Peters
  • Los Altos, CA
Posted

Hi All,

I am trying to brush up on my leasing agreements and I think I have researched so much that I have overdone it to the point that I am getting even the basic ideas wrong.

The following is pertaining to a COMMERCIAL/RETAIL lease:

-When there is an Option to Renew Clause in a lease, what additional rights does it give a tenant other than the ability to have first right of refusal when the lease expires?

For example lets say there is a 2 year lease with an option to renew for an additional 2 and the lease states that the agreement will remain the same other than the dollar amount which can be raised.

1)If I agree to the increased rent, does that mean that everything is honky-dory and I am set for another 2 years under the same terms?

2) Is there a state maximum of the amount a commercial lease can increase (I am in CA)?

3) If the rent is increased to an amount beyond what the current tenant is willing to pay, and the tenant moves out, is there any law that prohibits the landlord to rent it out for a lower rate to someone else?

4) Can a landlord, upon expiration of a lease merely state that they no longer want to rent it to the tenant for any explanation given? Does this apply to a tenant who has an option to renew clause?

-Some family friends that are landlords have given me mixed answers about the previous 2 questions. Some say that since it is a landlord’s private property, they can say they do not want to renew a lease even with a renewal clause, without any explanation given. Others say that since there is a lease in place with a renewal clause, no matter what the tenant has the right to resign if the increase is agreed to.

5) Can the landlord decide to use the property for their own business and is this a valid/legal reason to not release the space to the current tenant, again with a renewal clause in place?

6) If a current tenant lease expires within 30 days, how many days in advance (if any) must the tenant notify the landlord that they wish to exercise their right to renew?

7) If the tenant notifies the landlord 2-3 days prior to the lease expiring and the lease automatically reverts to a month-to-month after expiration, does the tenant have any legal rights or have they forfeited them due to improper amount of time given to notify the landlord?

I have spent some long nights on BP and have seen some incredible advice given by users, which I hope can also enlighten me.

Thank you in advance to all who provide input and hopefully all input will be helpful to other users as well.

Loading replies...