• Investor
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Votes |
Getting listed before upgrades done & tenants trashing property

Katie Stone
  • Investor
  • Spanish Fork, UT
Posted Jul 10 2017, 09:02

We just purchased a rental home that is in the process of renovations (paint, new counters & hardware), etc.  The place is a total mess right now as we have been stripping wallpaper etc.  The counters will not be installed for 2 weeks, the painting has not been started yet.... so we are probably still 3 weeks out.

It seems like with our other units it takes several weeks AFTER the posting to have it rented.  How do I not lose this valuable time? However, it wouldn't show great at the moment.  Any suggestions? Do I just wait until all the renovations are done, THEN take the pictures and list it? 

Also, a tenant from a different property just left and the place is TRASHED.  Any suggestions on how you prevent this from happening? This is the second time in a few months this has happened.  I am soooo tired of tenants leaving and then having to replace so much that is above normal wear and tear.  These tenants have been in the unit for 8 years (and I think they never cleaned a thing).  The deposit will not even cover the cleaning of the place, let alone everything else that now needs to be fixed or replaced.  They paid rent on time every month, and seemed to be nice people.  What do you all do as far as inspections etc? Not sure even how to screen differently! I am so done with people who don't care at all about my properties.  Rant over. Advice welcomed.

Loading replies...