Votes
Amy A.
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
How to handle nightmare neighbor

Amy A.
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Jul 27 2017, 20:35

Bought a multi-family in May and the neighbor is a nut job.Has an endless list of complaints, some valid and some not.He called the property code inspector two weeks after closing, and I have a laundry list of repairs that I now need to (financially) prioritize over renovating and renting out the interior.The violations are about half resolved…then today my tenant notified me that city lead abatement folks were at the property.

I feel like every time I turn around he’s going to be calling in trying to get the property cited, and I can’t let my guard down. It’s only been 2 months.

I can’t figure out what is motivating the guy to behave in this manner.He’s started avoiding me (which is fine, because I’m anti-confrontational and I'm quite angry right now), but I think we probably need to sit down and have a chat to get this to stop.The property code inspector actually recommended that I seek out a mediator to help deal with the guy because he's been repeatedly calling him about the violations.

Would you cut bait and run?I think I can have the repairs completed in the next 4 months, and could list the property for sale after the new year.Or would you get the issues resolved and then cross your fingers that he knocks it off?  I'm worried I won't be able to attract and retain quality tenants.

How would you handle this?  This is my second multi-family and is the first time I've had this kind of drama.  

Loading replies...