​Rodents are eating my tenants' car wires

​Rodents are eating my tenants' car wires

Small Town Landlord · Clifton Springs, NY · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes

I have a 3 bedroom farmhouse that sits on a half acre between a cow pasture and a woods. I bought it at auction a year ago and now have my second tenant family living in it.

The driveway is about 30 feet from a 4 acre woods (neighbor's property) and the tenants have problems with rodents eating their car wires and the insulation attached to the underside of the hood on both their vehicles. They have had vehicles disabled and had to take them in for service (a couple times with each vehicle).

I've used this site as a reference: https://www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com..., recommended it to the tenants as a reference and also contacted an exterminator that I do business with that recommended the distribution of about ten bait stations around the area. So I put a dozen bait stations around the driveway and house.

I bought some fox urine for them to spread around cause they thought that would do the trick but I also made it clear that I've done pretty much everything I can and that I'm not responsible for their car wires.

My lease doesn't say the tenant is responsible for rodent control - I'll fix that with the next tenants.

They've paid rent on-time (been there 5 months so far), seem to be taking good care of the house, yard, landscaping, etc.

Yesterday when picking up the rent the husband showed me damage under the hoods of their cars and said that I should "do something and make it right".

I'm sure he expects me to discount the rent or something like that. I explained that I've talked to the neighbors on the street and to the prior tenants and no-one else has a problem with rodents eating their car wires (although none of their driveways are as close to the woods), how I felt that this is very unfortunate but that I don't know what else we could do. I offered that they could park on the lawn on the other side of the house but they don't want to do that as the lawn might get damaged. I recommended an outdoor cat but they already have an indoor cat, don't want more and there are already some neighborhood cats that roam around. I said that if it continues to be a problem that they might want to consider moving - not that I'm asking them to leave but because I don't have a solution to the problem.

Has anyone had issues with rodents that eat car wires?

What recommendations do you have?

I'm also concerned that the next tenant may have the same problem. 

Other ideas I can think of are; 

- perhaps an owl box 

- perhaps haul gravel for a driveway on the other side of the house

1Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

San Marcos, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 2 votes
9y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

I have a 3 bedroom farmhouse that sits on a half acre between a cow pasture and a woods. I bought it at auction a year ago and now have my second tenant family living in it.

The driveway is about 30 feet from a 4 acre woods (neighbor's property) and the tenants have problems with rodents eating their car wires and the insulation attached to the underside of the hood on both their vehicles. They have had vehicles disabled and had to take them in for service (a couple times with each vehicle).

I've used this site as a reference: https://www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com..., recommended it to the tenants as a reference and also contacted an exterminator that I do business with that recommended the distribution of about ten bait stations around the area. So I put a dozen bait stations around the driveway and house.

I bought some fox urine for them to spread around cause they thought that would do the trick but I also made it clear that I've done pretty much everything I can and that I'm not responsible for their car wires.

My lease doesn't say the tenant is responsible for rodent control - I'll fix that with the next tenants.

They've paid rent on-time (been there 5 months so far), seem to be taking good care of the house, yard, landscaping, etc.

Yesterday when picking up the rent the husband showed me damage under the hoods of their cars and said that I should "do something and make it right".

I'm sure he expects me to discount the rent or something like that. I explained that I've talked to the neighbors on the street and to the prior tenants and no-one else has a problem with rodents eating their car wires (although none of their driveways are as close to the woods), how I felt that this is very unfortunate but that I don't know what else we could do. I offered that they could park on the lawn on the other side of the house but they don't want to do that as the lawn might get damaged. I recommended an outdoor cat but they already have an indoor cat, don't want more and there are already some neighborhood cats that roam around. I said that if it continues to be a problem that they might want to consider moving - not that I'm asking them to leave but because I don't have a solution to the problem.

Has anyone had issues with rodents that eat car wires?

What recommendations do you have?

I'm also concerned that the next tenant may have the same problem. 

Other ideas I can think of are; 

- perhaps an owl box 

- perhaps haul gravel for a driveway on the other side of the house

Hi Mark! I'm sorry to hear about your rodent situation with your tenants. I actually created https://www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com and I appreciate you referencing my website as a resource. I launched the website after I had over $11k in damage done to both my cars last year due to rodent damage. I feel comfortable saying I have probably researched how to prevent rodent damage to cars more than anyone else on the planet and I know I can help your tenants.

The first plan of action for them is to leave their hood up at night. Rodents go into the engine compartment for 3 reasons: shelter, chewing on the wires, and food (I.e. soy based wiring). By leaving the hood up it takes away their shelter and eliminates the engine compartment as a potential place for nesting grounds. This single handedly is probably the most effective method of rodent deterrent for cars. 

Second, they should place snap traps at the base and tops is the tread of the front two tires (assuming the engine is in the front of their cars). This will block off the entrance to the rodents are using to get into the car. Rodents climb up the tread of the tires to get into the engine compartment. Here is a YouTube video that shows exactly how to place the traps: https://youtu.be/H3aOa0Pe8kA

Third, take a flashlight or a bright light and shine it under the car at night. Rodents always prefer to be in the shadows and this will force them to walk through a spot light if they want to get into the car (and they won't like it!).

Fourth, get some Rodent Defense and spray it on the inside of the engine compartment 2-3 times a week. This is an all natural spray with peppermint oil that will act to cover up their scent of urine. One of the main issues that has happened with your tenants cars is that the rodents have marked it as safe with their excitements. Other rodents will pick up on his scent and think the car is still a safe place to go hang out. So even though your tenants are getting their cars fixed, it still has that scent in it so the rodents will continue to frequent the car. 

As a long term solution for you I would certainly consider getting an owl Box. The only problem is that it can take some time  for owls to arrive. Once they are there, they will be super effective.

Please relate the information to your tentants I would be happy to answer any questions they specifically have and they can message me directly on here or through the contact page on the website (as it won't let me post my email address here!)

And if anyone else in this forum has any questions or needs help with similar issues please don't hesitate to let me know! 

Best Regards,

Dave

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Put the big industrial size rodent traps outside around the house, and property,, 

    Trash storage in covered cans only. 

    No pet food left outdoors.

    No bird food or bird feeders.

    Call a pest control company but these are main suggestion..

    Any garage the cars could be stored inside might help.

    This can also be a huge issue inside homes, the mice get in and eat the insulation on the electrical.. we had a fire in our neighborhood.. cause mice ate wires, was a newly rehabbed house on the river 459K and burnt the day before closing.. insurance covered the rehab costs. 

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Drop off a few feral cats, SPCA would love to give you some "barn cats". Also tell the tenants they should have renters insurance, the car is not your problem.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Rat poison in containers that larger animals can not get into.

  • Small Town Landlord · Clifton Springs, NY · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Deanna McCormick Thanks for the recommendations, 

    I thought of leaving some traps and I might still do this. 

    There's no food outside, did call the pest control company and took the same actions they would take. 

    There's no garage.

    I also have traps and bait stations indoors.

  • Small Town Landlord · Clifton Springs, NY · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Levi T. I like the cat idea but I don't have a barn for them. Although they might take up residence in a neighbor's barn.

    I checked on insurance and renters insurance only covers vandalism/theft of vehicle contents. However, comprehensive auto insurance may cover wire damage caused by rodents so I've recommended that to the tenants.

  • Small Town Landlord · Clifton Springs, NY · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Thomas S. Thanks, I have a dozen rat poison stations around the property.

  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    9y
    Is the vehicle a Ford by chance? As crazy as it seems Ford used vegetable oil during the production of their wire insulation a few years back. The mice love it! The wire insulation is a good food source and the hood insulation is nesting material. Nothing you can do about it.
  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    Agree with @Levi T. that the rodent issue isnt your problem.   Rodents are ubiquitous and why they chose your tenants vehicle has nothing to do with your propery.    I had an issue with rodents in my work truck (in one of the best neighborhoods in town of all places)  and Im certainly not blaming the issue on my house Lol.  

    I was able to eliminate the problem by making my truck less hospitable to the rodents.  I mixed red chili powder in water, and sprayed it all over my front tires, wheel wells, and any areas that they were nesting daily.  The rodents never came back.  

    Here is a link to more helpful information on rodents.  Turns out auto manufacturers are making wire covering out of soy and other products that is "rat food" and making the rodent / auto problem worse.   

    https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Mice-in-Your-Motor

    Good luck with your tenants and the rodent issue. 

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with @Richard 

    @Richard C.undefined

    You're responsible for the house, not their personal property.  I'd guess your lease probably says something about renter's insurance.  This is what renter's insurance covers.  

    At most, you're liable for providing a habitable residence.  That means the four walls around their home.  Not their vehicles in the driveway.

    In a way, this would be like saying you're responsible if a fox gets into their chicken coop.  Landlords are not responsible for making sure their farm tenants' livestock isn't attacked by foxes or coyotes, etc.  

    So, I'd take a look at your lease.  Look for any standard clause that says you're not responsible for damage to their personal property, and that they should get renter's insurance.

    And going forward, I'd require renter's insurance, and maybe put a clause in the contract (if it's not already there) that says you're not responsible for damage to their personal property, and they must rely on their own renter's insurance for that.

    So, time to draw a line in the sand with this tenant.  You can do it in a non-threatening, but firm manner.

    I'm betting, from personally renting and owning in rural areas, that you would probably have no problem renting to someone else, because there are probably few rentals in the area - right?  So, you can kindly but firmly let this tenant know that he needs renter's insurance for any damage to personal property, and that you understand he may not be happy with the property, and so, you'd be happy to let him out of the contract with just 30 days notice, since you really don't want him to feel stuck, if he'd really rather move.

    My bet is that if you say that, you will hear crickets - loudly.  Simply tell him he can give you 30 days notice if he'd rather move, and you'd even let him out with less notice if he finds a place sooner.

    This worked great for me.  Usually, they will stay.

    And going forward, I suggest month to month agreements - at least with this tenant.  Leases only give power to tenants.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Maybe it's another type of rodent then what you are trapping? squirrels? Anyway you can help but it is Thier issue. Tabasco sauce ? something on or in the vicinity of the wires I think. They are the only ones who had this problem so I suspect it may be Thier vehicle type or the frequency the vehicle is used.
  • Small Town Landlord · Clifton Springs, NY · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Good response @Account Closed Tobasco sauce is a good idea. I recommended they consider spraying the engine compartment with an insecticide. 

    As far as the type of animal - we don't know what it is. It might be possible to identify if droppings are found or perhaps use a security camera to spot them but in the end it's their responsibility to take these actions if they desire.

    They have a 2008 Jeep Patriot and a 2016 Chevy Cruze. Both have damage. The Chevy has had more wire damage and it's driven quite a lot - I would say at least 5 days a week.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    It would be fun to put a little spy cam under the hood to see what it is.

  • Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    If the rodent finds the battery line and chews it, then it would seem that Darwin has already come up with a solution to your tenant's problem.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Buy them a cat.

  • San Marcos, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 2 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I have a 3 bedroom farmhouse that sits on a half acre between a cow pasture and a woods. I bought it at auction a year ago and now have my second tenant family living in it.

    The driveway is about 30 feet from a 4 acre woods (neighbor's property) and the tenants have problems with rodents eating their car wires and the insulation attached to the underside of the hood on both their vehicles. They have had vehicles disabled and had to take them in for service (a couple times with each vehicle).

    I've used this site as a reference: https://www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com..., recommended it to the tenants as a reference and also contacted an exterminator that I do business with that recommended the distribution of about ten bait stations around the area. So I put a dozen bait stations around the driveway and house.

    I bought some fox urine for them to spread around cause they thought that would do the trick but I also made it clear that I've done pretty much everything I can and that I'm not responsible for their car wires.

    My lease doesn't say the tenant is responsible for rodent control - I'll fix that with the next tenants.

    They've paid rent on-time (been there 5 months so far), seem to be taking good care of the house, yard, landscaping, etc.

    Yesterday when picking up the rent the husband showed me damage under the hoods of their cars and said that I should "do something and make it right".

    I'm sure he expects me to discount the rent or something like that. I explained that I've talked to the neighbors on the street and to the prior tenants and no-one else has a problem with rodents eating their car wires (although none of their driveways are as close to the woods), how I felt that this is very unfortunate but that I don't know what else we could do. I offered that they could park on the lawn on the other side of the house but they don't want to do that as the lawn might get damaged. I recommended an outdoor cat but they already have an indoor cat, don't want more and there are already some neighborhood cats that roam around. I said that if it continues to be a problem that they might want to consider moving - not that I'm asking them to leave but because I don't have a solution to the problem.

    Has anyone had issues with rodents that eat car wires?

    What recommendations do you have?

    I'm also concerned that the next tenant may have the same problem. 

    Other ideas I can think of are; 

    - perhaps an owl box 

    - perhaps haul gravel for a driveway on the other side of the house

    Hi Mark! I'm sorry to hear about your rodent situation with your tenants. I actually created https://www.howtopreventratsfromeatingcarwires.com and I appreciate you referencing my website as a resource. I launched the website after I had over $11k in damage done to both my cars last year due to rodent damage. I feel comfortable saying I have probably researched how to prevent rodent damage to cars more than anyone else on the planet and I know I can help your tenants.

    The first plan of action for them is to leave their hood up at night. Rodents go into the engine compartment for 3 reasons: shelter, chewing on the wires, and food (I.e. soy based wiring). By leaving the hood up it takes away their shelter and eliminates the engine compartment as a potential place for nesting grounds. This single handedly is probably the most effective method of rodent deterrent for cars. 

    Second, they should place snap traps at the base and tops is the tread of the front two tires (assuming the engine is in the front of their cars). This will block off the entrance to the rodents are using to get into the car. Rodents climb up the tread of the tires to get into the engine compartment. Here is a YouTube video that shows exactly how to place the traps: https://youtu.be/H3aOa0Pe8kA

    Third, take a flashlight or a bright light and shine it under the car at night. Rodents always prefer to be in the shadows and this will force them to walk through a spot light if they want to get into the car (and they won't like it!).

    Fourth, get some Rodent Defense and spray it on the inside of the engine compartment 2-3 times a week. This is an all natural spray with peppermint oil that will act to cover up their scent of urine. One of the main issues that has happened with your tenants cars is that the rodents have marked it as safe with their excitements. Other rodents will pick up on his scent and think the car is still a safe place to go hang out. So even though your tenants are getting their cars fixed, it still has that scent in it so the rodents will continue to frequent the car. 

    As a long term solution for you I would certainly consider getting an owl Box. The only problem is that it can take some time  for owls to arrive. Once they are there, they will be super effective.

    Please relate the information to your tentants I would be happy to answer any questions they specifically have and they can message me directly on here or through the contact page on the website (as it won't let me post my email address here!)

    And if anyone else in this forum has any questions or needs help with similar issues please don't hesitate to let me know! 

    Best Regards,

    Dave

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Mark:

    Please don't poison rodents.  When they go somewhere else to die, scavengers will eat them and die from the poison.  It sounds like you need a solution that will work over time without having to keep resetting the trap.   Go to YouTube and look up Shawn Woods or "Mousetrap Monday".  He has over 1 million subscribers to his channel that is dedicated to reviewing mousetraps.   It sounds like you need a "walk the plank" bucket trap.   His traps are mostly for mice but many of them are for rats too.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Mark:

    I would set mouse traps and also use a Havahart model 1083 "easy-set" trap for squirrels or rats.

    I've read a few stories about woodchucks doing this to cars too. I would catch and release

    woodchucks. A live trap would give you that option.

    Daves' solution is to set 12 traps around the tires of your car every time you return home.

    I doubt many people are going to be able to do that over an extended period of time.

    I am 70 YO, the traps I use are very sensitive and trying to bend down and set them under every 

    wheel without them going off would be very tedious, time consuming and too hard on my back.

    Dave keeps deleting my replies to his Youtube video because he doesn't have any answers 

    to my logical questions.  It seems very childish to me.

    Bill Z

    Delaware County, PA

    .

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Aaron & Levi:

    Where are you getting your ideas from ?

    Major cities have already tried using feral cats to deal with rats and mice 

    and the number of places where that has worked is very close to ZERO.

    And the other problem is that no legitimate SPCA or rescue is going to give 

    you domesticated cats to leave outside 24/7.  They have laws against that now.

    You would have to catch feral cats somewhere and move them to where you 

    live.   Relocating feral animals is illegal in most places because it would be a 

    means for some novice to spread rabies but it is probably doable.

    But don't take my word for it.  Read the stories below.

    Bill Z

    --GoogleNewsSearchFor &q=feral+cat+mice

    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&q=feral+cat+mice&gs_l=news

    .

    2018-03-20 Are feral cats the answer to rat infestations?
    https://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/are-feral-cats-answer-rat-infestations

    .

    2018-09-27 Cats Bad At Nabbing Rats But Feast On Other Beasts
    https://www.wired.com/story/rats-vs-cats/

    .

    2018-09-27 Feral cats appear to be pathetic at controlling New York City’s rats
    Urban felines prefer mice and birds to big, feisty rodents 
    BY SUSAN MILIUS 4:09PM, SEPTEMBER 27, 2018
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/feral-cats-pathetic-controlling-new-york-city-rats

    .

    2018-09-28 Cats Are Surprisingly Bad at Killing Rats
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/cats-are-surprisingly-ineffective-keeping-urban-rat-populations-check-180970428/
    .
  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Mark:

    Life is very short.  Good tenants are hard to find.  I would try and compromise on the cost of repairs.

    For you this cost would be a tax write-off, for the tenants it is not.   They should give you ALL the receipts

    for the cost of repairs as part of any agreement.  I would also ask them to get comprehensive auto 

    insurance to cover any future costs.

    WRZ

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.