I purchased my first 2-family home this past July. its an up / down 2 unit that I will "house hack". The upstairs tenant (unit where I'll live) received a notice to vacate from me back in July, stating that she had until the end of September to hand over the keys. I got a letter back from her within a week stating that she would be out before my requested date; by the end of August. This was good news as I would be able to start some renovating to my unit sooner, and thus obviously move in quicker. As the end of August came closer, I received an e-mail from her asking if I could go back to my original request and allow her to stay for the month of September. I decided that that wasn't an issue because of two main reasons: 1. I was in the middle of doing some construction on the detached 3 car garage, and needed at least another month to reach full completion there, and 2. Another month of rent sounded good to me, lol.
So here we are, nearing the end of the month that she's supposed to be out, and I get an email from her this afternoon, explaining how her new apartment isn't ready to be moved into yet. And requesting just ONE more WEEK in order to transition smoothly into her new place. I understand completely that I do not have to cater to her wants, and that by allowing her the additional week I am enabling her. I agree with all of those whom I can already hear through the computer about treating this like a business, and not a hobby. However, I am STILL not finished with the garage, and an additional week or 2 wouldn't bother me much in terms of my timeframe. I am leaning towards allowing an additional week or 2 that way I can finish up what I need to with the garage and not be overwhelmed with both the garage and unit renovations at the same time, as I'm doing nearly all of it DIY style.
Can I have her stay for 2 weeks for an amount that I come up with thats MORE than just 1/2 the months rent (say as like, an inconvenience fee), If both her and I agree and sign papers stating so. For example, her current rent is $675/mo, and if I charged $400 for two weeks.
Or should I just require another full months rent (regardless if she really needs just a week) and risk delaying my schedule back a full month. Or would I legally have to prorate accurately if we both signed a new date for her to be out?
And what are your thoughts on this matter as a whole? have any of you dealt with similar situations? Sorry for such a long post! I appreciate all your comments in advance as always
If your not ready to start the work, I would give here the time. And I bet she would pay a little more for that so you win that way. I get that this is a business but don't think what your doing takes away form "treating this like a business." You have to be flexible and it sounds like that what your being.
Thanks for the response @Greg Carrier I really don't mind being flexible. Especially if it's to my benefit (more rent $ and more time to complete garage project). She stated in the E-mail that she would need only until the 7th of October and absolutely no longer than that. But I'm thinking to give 2 weeks to allow for any other mishaps with her move and to also justify my request for a higher portioned rent. Thoughts? The ball is in my court.
Even if she only really needs a week. Does it make sense to allow 2? She might put up a stink about not wanting to pay that ammount since / if she really only needs the 1 week
She is the one that wants the extension and you won't know until you ask.
If you don't mind waiting for the unit, collect for the entire month. Trying to plan your schedule to the week around a tenant that's still there and hasn't left is just going to be aggravating for you. Plan for 11/1 and make her pay for the full month.
If she has taken good care of the place and really only needs a week, charge her for the week. She does have the upper hand because the only other way to get her out would be eviction.