SCAM!/Why are people calling me about my property?

6 Replies

Hello all Bigger Pockets Friends, 

I have a question about a possible fraud/Scam. About 6 months ago my property manager received many calls about my investment property inquiring if the property was still for sale when it was not even listed. Apparently, someone was running a scam off of craigslist with my last name printed as my first name and my first name printed as my last- I am now getting calls directly from places like Ohio, Kansas, etc. etc. asking if I would still be interested in selling m y property ?

How do these callers have access to my information? And how can I stop these calls from coming in and close down access to my information?

Any help would be great in shutting this down.

Thank you in advance?

Originally posted by @Sean Mamola :

Hello all Bigger Pockets Friends, 

I have a question about a possible fraud/Scam. About 6 months ago my property manager received many calls about my investment property inquiring if the property was still for sale when it was not even listed. Apparently, someone was running a scam off of craigslist with my last name printed as my first name and my first name printed as my last- I am now getting calls directly from places like Ohio, Kansas, etc. etc. asking if I would still be interested in selling m y property ?

How do these callers have access to my information? And how can I stop these calls from coming in and close down access to my information?

Any help would be great in shutting this down.

Thank you in advance?

I'd hop on google in your shoes. Your phone number, your name, address... something out there still has a google footprint. Find it.

Also be sure to report/flag the Craigslist ad. Maybe even contact them for any further potential posts on your property to be watched by their team.

public info can be had many of ways...  but I'd def hop on something like adhunter to search all of craigslist for either your address of the fake name etc.

@Chris Mason ,@johnathan newton, @Matt K.

I just received another call and asked the caller where he obtained my information from, he said a withdrawn sellers list- wondering if this makes sense to anyone out there?

Originally posted by @Sean Mamola :

@Chris Mason,@johnathan newton, @Matt K.

I just received another call and asked the caller where he obtained my information from, he said a withdrawn sellers list- wondering if this makes sense to anyone out there?

That makes it sound like someone actually put it on the MLS (the actual MLS, not the fake MLS websites like zillow etc)... implying a real estate agent was involved.

search it on redfin see if you can find the other MLS number

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here