Credit check for potential tenants in Philadelphia

17 Replies

Could anyone please share how do you check a credit of potential tenants. So tired of giving away 1 months rent to a realtor for finding tenants. Last tenants didn't even stay a year. Decided to do it on my own. And where do you guys get a blank lease form , that you could type your terms in?

Thank you in advance

@Lana - I use Cozy.co when my tenants want to apply. You just send them a link from Cozy and the tenant is sent a request for a background check and credit check. The tenant pays Cozy directly for both checks, total cost to the tenant is $40

As far as a blank lease form - I can send you a Word doc of the lease that I use, I copied one from a lawyer in Philly that uses it for his tenants.

@Lana Lee I have used https://secure.mysmartmove.com to screen tenants and you can charge them for it. 

Regarding a blank lease, any PA real estate agent can provide you with the standard PA residential lease. Feel free to message me if you need it. 

Originally posted by @Jeremy Chaudet :

@Lana Lee I have used https://secure.mysmartmove.com to screen tenants and you can charge them for it. 

Regarding a blank lease, any PA real estate agent can provide you with the standard PA residential lease. Feel free to message me if you need it. 

Thank you . Appreciate it .

@Lana Lee

I the same tool as Jeremy, https://www.mysmartmove.com/. You can send online request to the tenants email, they will fill out information and pay for the service.  It's $35 per person for criminal,eviction and credit report. 

You can get a lease blank form any realtor. There is a standard PAR approved lease where you just need to check mark all the options that applies to your rental. Feel free to reach out and I can send you a blank lease. 

Also I recommend to check out latest city rules for tenant-landlords: http://www.phila.gov/health/pdfs/Landlords_Guide_t...

There is a list of disclosures and pamphlets that you have to provide your tenant to be in complience with the city law and to be able to evict if it come to that. 

@Lana Lee
Smart Move is the best way to go in my opinion. You can run background and credit very easily. You typically will get the report almost immediately if there is. It much in either of the reports.

Originally posted by @Shaun Palmer :

Lana Lee
Smart Move is the best way to go in my opinion. You can run background and credit very easily. You typically will get the report almost immediately if there is.  

Is that one also free like Cozy? Are they giving you some kind of recommendations or just numbers?

Originally posted by @Yuriy Skripnichenko :

@Lana Lee

I the same tool as Jeremy, https://www.mysmartmove.com/. You can send online request to the tenants email, they will fill out information and pay for the service.  It's $35 per person for criminal,eviction and credit report. 

You can get a lease blank form any realtor. There is a standard PAR approved lease where you just need to check mark all the options that applies to your rental. Feel free to reach out and I can send you a blank lease. 

Also I recommend to check out latest city rules for tenant-landlords: http://www.phila.gov/health/pdfs/Landlords_Guide_t...

There is a list of disclosures and pamphlets that you have to provide your tenant to be in complience with the city law and to be able to evict if it come to that. 

Thank you for the link, I will surely educate myself better with that inf.

@Lana Lee
Smart Move will provide a recommendation on the credit check on whether or. It they would be good tenants. However, it means nothing to me because it is vital to your business to have your screening criteria set for your business before you get recommendations from someone else. Their criteria could be completely different than yours.

Smart Move costs $35 to run a background and credit check. I ask my tenants to pay this as the rental app. They can pay directly through Smart Move. That way I don't have to collect SS #'s and the liability associated with that.

Also, I could be wrong but I don't think Cozy is free to run a Background and credit check. If memory serves me correct, they do not run criminal background checks so that is why I use Smart Move. Hope this helps.

You also need to sit dawn and learn all your state landlord tenant regulations if you have not done so already. Sounds as though you have very little first hand experience in dealing with tenants rights.

Originally posted by @Shaun Palmer :

Lana Lee
Smart Move will provide a recommendation on the credit check on whether or. It they would be good tenants. However, it means nothing to me because it is vital to your business to have your screening criteria set for your business before you get recommendations from someone else. Their criteria could be completely different than yours.

Smart Move costs $35 to run a background and credit check. I ask my tenants to pay this as the rental app. They can pay directly through Smart Move. That way I don't have to collect SS #'s and the liability associated with that.

Also, I could be wrong but I don't think Cozy is free to run a Background and credit check. If memory serves me correct, they do not run criminal background checks so that is why I use Smart Move. Hope this helps.

I though you have to have a SSN  in case you need to take them to court or report to collection. See guys, I completely clueless in some areas. We have this rental for a year ,but I didn't really deal with that issues myself. 

@Lana Lee
I agree with @Thomas S. that you should review the laws. They are very easy to find.

Stay positive as it is a long but good journey. Their is a lot to know and none of us will ever know it all. It will change anyway. Ha!

Once you identify your goals, learn the laws and then Develop a process. Once you have a process, right it down and repeat it over and over again. It will help but it will take some time.

Yes, a potential tenant must have a Social Security Number to run a credit/criminal background check.

Originally posted by @Joe White :

Yes, a potential tenant must have a Social Security Number to run a credit/criminal background check.

Yes, but I was wondering if you need to obtain a copy of SS card, because in case you use wed site fir credit check, your tenant don't need to give uou number .

I've never requested a copy of a SS#. SmarterAgent will just ask for it.
They would probably be best as asking for a social security card might appear poorly in regards to Fair Housing concerns.

Originally posted by @Joe White :

I've never requested a copy of a SS#. SmarterAgent will just ask for it.
They would probably be best as asking for a social security card might appear poorly in regards to Fair Housing concerns.

Fair Housing is another aspectII need to research. I always depended on agent for that. But since I decided to find tenants myself now, I have to educate myself on that and how to write a rejection letter, I have no clue how to.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.