Installing Security System in Rental Property

4 Replies

As I add additional rental properties to my portfolio I'm thinking about whether or not I should have security systems installed. Both as a feature for tenants and for me in the event the space is vacant. Is this a practice that most landlords with SFH rentals are using? If so, are you rolling it into your rental expenses or asking the tenant to pay if they want to use it?

Yes, I installed security cameras into rental property so that I can see the house easily without driving there from long distance.  It is part of the rental expense for a one time $300.

This provides security for your tenant too.

Originally posted by @John J. :

Yes, I installed security cameras into rental property so that I can see the house easily without driving there from long distance.  It is part of the rental expense for a one time $300.

This provides security for your tenant too.

What type of security system did you install? Brand name? How do you maintain it? Who pays for the monitoring?

Amcrest brand.  Both tenant and landlord can maintenance and monitor. 

@Steve Fitzgerald I would go half-in with your tenant on the installation of the unit. Its an expense. Contacts break, wires get freyed, once the tenant moves out, its another thing to have to fix. I've installed them in only a couple of the homes we managed. I see them as a long term "garbage disposal", a money waster, I'd see if you can get at least 1/2 or all if you can get it, from the person who wants it and then see if it lowers your insurance. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.