Tow Away signs on rentals

8 Replies

How does those tow away sign work?  I have seen some signs that has the name and number of a nearby tow company mounted on buildings.  Are those signs obtained from the tow companies?  What is the process?

I am in the process of renovating a property that may take a few months and people near by know it's vacant so they freely park there and when I am there with hired help I don't have enough space.  Putting notices on the windshields help some but I need a sign to say I MEAN BUSINESS!!!

I recently bought my own signs to be posted at the entrances of parking lots. In California I had to use a specific size lettering. I put the name and phone number of the towing company plus local enforcement, police department in my case. I got the specifics from internet search for California. 

@Sam Leon Yes, the towing co.s will provide these, I assume for free of you're using them.  They generate a good portion of their tow business, and storage fees, from these.

On a side note, a brushed aluminum grab handle will make them easier to hold while mounting:-).

dont be so fast as far as towing , find out if it is a neighbor first . If so let them park there for a while , tell them where . Give them your phone number and have them watch the property .  You go towing cars and depending on the neighborhood you can make enemys which will cost you in the long run

Originally posted by :

Yes, the towing co.s will provide these, I assume for free of you're using them.  They generate a good portion of their tow business, and storage fees, from these.

On a side note, a brushed aluminum grab handle will make them easier to hold while mounting:-).

HAHAHA brushed aluminum handle good memory!

Originally posted by @Matthew Paul :

dont be so fast as far as towing , find out if it is a neighbor first . If so let them park there for a while , tell them where . Give them your phone number and have them watch the property .  You go towing cars and depending on the neighborhood you can make enemys which will cost you in the long run

I know all the neighbors on my side of the street, those are all single family homes and they are already watching the property for me.

Across the street are three story multi unit buildings.  Each building has like 18 units and each unit has assigned parking spaces.  They only has one space, so they started to park over on my end BECAUSE their own building has a tow away sign.  Initially I put up a note on the windshield to let them know not to park there, but now it's out of control because others see what's going on so it seems everyone just started to park here because they see others getting away with it.

Sam thats says a lot . I would get the signs up real soon. 

Or turn it into a profit . Put up a sign and then Boot the cars . Charge them cash to be set free . 

in the Bay Area, CA owners pay for the tow company sign, then owner installs it on site per the enforcement code. 1 or 2 depends on how many driveways. Sometimes a Police inspection is required before first tow. A property where the tenants were abusing the fire lane parking, blocking other tenants in, I authorized all tenants who showed proof of residency to tow any cars in the red zone. problem solved

This is a state-specific question. In Ohio, there are guidelines for the size of the sign, font size, exactly what info the sign must contain, and where the signs are to be located.  

A quick Google search shows FL law has similar requirements:

a. The notice must be prominently placed at each driveway access or curb cut allowing vehicular access to the property, within 5 feet from the public right-of-way line. If there are no curbs or access barriers, the signs must be posted not less than one sign for each 25 feet of lot frontage.

b. The notice must clearly indicate, in not less than 2-inch high, light-reflective letters on a contrasting background, that unauthorized vehicles will be towed away at the owner’s expense. The words “tow-away zone” must be included on the sign in not less than 4-inch high letters.

c. The notice must also provide the name and current telephone number of the person or firm towing or removing the vehicles or vessels.

d. The sign structure containing the required notices must be permanently installed with the words “tow-away zone” not less than 3 feet and not more than 6 feet above ground level and must be continuously maintained on the property for not less than 24 hours prior to the towing or removal of any vehicles or vessels.

e. The local government may require permitting and inspection of these signs prior to any towing or removal of vehicles or vessels being authorized.

f. A business with 20 or fewer parking spaces satisfies the notice requirements of this subparagraph by prominently displaying a sign stating “Reserved Parking for Customers Only Unauthorized Vehicles or Vessels Will be Towed Away At the Owner’s Expense” in not less than 4-inch high, light-reflective letters on a contrasting background.

g. A property owner towing or removing vessels from real property must post notice, consistent with the requirements in sub-subparagraphs a.-f., which apply to vehicles, that unauthorized vehicles or vessels will be towed away at the owner’s expense.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.