Security Deposit - Pennsylvania Law

3 Replies

In Pennsylvania, are you allowed to keep the full security deposit if your tenants do not pay their last month's rent? 

If you only collected one months rent as a security deposit, any more and the balance goes back to them, unless there is also damage. I am assuming they moved out and you are not just talking about using it to cover a months rent ? someone that may be able to answer that better, if i am wrong, is @Chris K.

@Jon Kelly

Generally yes, but you have to: (1) review your lease to see what it says; and (2) still follow all the required steps when it comes to dealing with security deposits. The last part is very important --- PA law is pretty cut and dry about what a landlord needs to do when it comes to keeping the security deposit. 

Disclaimer: While I’m an attorney licensed to practice in PA, I’m not your attorney. What I wrote above does not create an attorney/client relationship between us. I wrote the above for informational purposes. Do not rely on it as legal advice. Always consult with your attorney before you rely on the above information.

@Patrick Liska @Chris K. , thank you both for the responses. This particular tenant did not pay last month's rent, so I am just wondering what my options are if they happen to walk away the last month. Based on my interpretation of PA law and your comments it sounds like I would be able to keep the full security deposit if they do not pay last month's rent. 

Thanks

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here