Have You Ever Had... I Have!

4 Replies

Have you ever had a tenant that you are in court evicting ask you to come re-light the water heater?... I have! 

Have you ever had a tenant that you are in court evicting ask you to come spray for bugs?... I have! 

Have you ever had a tenant that you are in court evicting ask you to bring them a free food basket for Thanksgiving?... I have! 

Have you ever had a tenant that you are in court evicting ask you to give them a reference for another apartment?... I have! 

Have you ever had a tenant that you are in court evicting ask you to come give them a ride to the store?... I have! 

Have you ever had a tenant that you are in court evicting call the Health Department on you for problems that they directly caused?... I have!

What else have you had a tenant that you are in court evicting have the nerve to ask you to do?

Yes; I was going to ask this same question.   Talk about being infected with terminal entitlement disease!

I have had a couple ask me what to do once they've received the notice that I've filed against them for the eviction.   These are folks who now want to pay what they owe to avoid going the last step.   If I want them out I don't respond.  Otherwise I tell them they owe all rents, all late fees plus the cost of the filing fees which must be paid before the deadline on the notice they're received from the Clerk of Court.

I have been contacted by other landlords regarding two different tenants who were being evicted due to nonpayment of rent.  I asked both landlords if they enjoyed driving down to the court for the dispossessory process.  One declined to go further with this tenant; the other went ahead and rented to him.  His argument was that his rent was cheaper than mine so perhaps the tenant could pay his when he had trouble paying mine.

Gail

I've only had one eviction so far, but here's mine:

• Have you ever had a tenant you are evicting in court ask about their security deposit?  I have!

And, yes, I most certainly did send them a certified letter after move-out outlining exactly what had happened to their security deposit...and how much money they still owed me on top of that!  Never see a dime of that (sigh).

No, Wes Woodhouse, it wasn't the same tenant, but the same "type" of tenant. The type that doesn't want to pay up what they owe and are looking for a handout, not a hand up!

Gail Kaitschuck, what the other landlord is failing to accept is that often, it's not the amount of money that is the issue. It is the fact that some people are just looking for an easy way out. If his rent is only half of yours, there are tenants that will see that as an opportunity to "get over". Others will look for concessions elsewhere or damage the apartment claiming that his apartment was raggedy anyway!

Sad to say, Jennifer T., I've been in that boat many times. However, I have determined to stop letting deadbeats get away with it. Anyone evicted that owes me a substantial amount of money will have their paychecks garnished or be taken to small claims court! 'Substantial amount' being more than the costs of time, money, and effort to do so.

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.