Section 8 tenant and housing authority

1 Reply

Hello BP community,

I purchased my first property in September. It's a 3 family home in Brockton MA and the property came with tenants. One of the tenants is a tenant at will and on section 8. The housing department has not paid me their portion of the rent since October due to the fact that I have not signed the HAP contract which looks and reads a lot like a lease to me. I want to get my rent money but also keep this tenant as a tenant at will. Does signing a HAP contract with the housing authority make this tenant no longer a tenant at will? Have you heard of the housing withholding rent until HAP contract is signed? Any insight will help.

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Mckenzy D. :

Hello BP community,

I purchased my first property in September. It's a 3 family home in Brockton MA and the property came with tenants. One of the tenants is a tenant at will and on section 8. The housing department has not paid me their portion of the rent since October due to the fact that I have not signed the HAP contract which looks and reads a lot like a lease to me. I want to get my rent money but also keep this tenant as a tenant at will. Does signing a HAP contract with the housing authority make this tenant no longer a tenant at will? Have you heard of the housing withholding rent until HAP contract is signed? Any insight will help.

Thanks!

I'm not confident in my response on this one, but I have a feeling that @Rich NG or @Charlie MacPherson would know? 

Filipe Pereira, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9557050) and CT (#0807610)
(860) 990-9103

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.