Water Heater Nightmares!

9 Replies

Hello everyone, This post isn’t as bad as the title seems. My husband and I are closing on a duplex in a few days, but I can’t stop thinking about the water heaters in each kitchen. The water heaters are located right where a dishwasher would be, flush with the cabinets. Is it worth relocating? Any alternatives? I couldn’t extend the countertops and install cabinets to cover the water heaters, they’re too tall. Suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

@Maya Torres Relocating leads to a whole 'nother set of issues. You need a cold water main from for supply side and then you need to hook the hot water to supply the house.

Do you have room in the attic above the kitchen? It possible you could loop the cold and the hot upwards and back down to the house. That is of course if it is allowed in your state. 

Why worry about it.

Remember not to over renovate for your tenant class. 

I agree it would be a hassle, probably not one I’m willing to go through. I’m not sure if there’s enough space in the attic but it’s something I can look into. Thanks.

You could install a shorter heater that would be below the countertop height. This may reduce the capacity of the heater (galllons), but you can buy them in different heights and circumferences. You could also go with a tankless heater, but they cost twice as much.

@Dean H

I agree but we will be living in one of the units for as long as we need to in order to continue saving money. For me it’s a cosmetics thing and lack of counter space so I’m hoping someone has a creative idea on how to cover it up.

Well that change things a bit. Like mentioned above put the tank in the attic if possible, or tank less if you can spend the money. Just don't install a small tank to fit under counter and run short when showering. 

I have seen people make custom enclosures and put countertop on them if they are those shorties. The countertops are slightly higher but usable.

Thanks everyone. Due to my budget right now, I think an enclosure would be a Best. A pantry to be exact since I don’t have one, and settle on buying a portable island for more counter space. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Originally posted by @Maya Torres :

I agree it would be a hassle, probably not one I’m willing to go through. I’m not sure if there’s enough space in the attic but it’s something I can look into. Thanks.

DO NOT  DO THE ATTIC .  Its too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter . And when something leaks it isnt pretty

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.