How to Handle Tenant Request to Add Roommate

How to Handle Tenant Request to Add Roommate

South Portland, ME · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 2 votes

I have a tenant in a 2bd apartment with whom I recently signed a new lease. She was previously living there with a roommate and they were both on the lease, and I allowed the old roommate to move out and wrote a new lease with the one girl on the same terms. This is in a building I've only owned since Nov 1. When we wrote the lease, it was understood that she would be seeking a new roommate and I told her I was fine with that.

Now she has told me who she wants her new roommate to be and I'm not exactly thrilled. I've done a credit check and application for the prospective roommate, and she has pretty bad credit with multiple collection accounts plus a dog (she says her ex spouse ran up the bills) -- which would make 3 dogs for the apartment (current tenant has two very small dogs).

I'm struggling with what to do. On the one hand, I don't want to be overbearing and in retrospect, I did make her feel like she could pick her own roommate with not very much input from me.

On the other hand, I'm somewhat concerned with her choice of roommate and the additional dog. I did tell her there would be an additional $250 pet security from new tenant.

So, two questions:

  • Should I tell her to find a different roommate? Downside being that it does make me feel like a jerk particularly since I wasn't perfectly clear from the start about not wanting another pet
  • If I let her take on this roommate, should I add the new roommate to the lease (i.e., write a new lease with the two of them) or just keep the one lease with the existing tenant and make it clear to her that she is responsible for her roommates behavior, etc?

Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.

0Reply
13 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    8y

    Lawyers provide great advice in this area @Dustin Turin. I am not one but happy to spit ball ideas. Seems like you are seeing the future if this new potential roommate + dog moves in, and it's not so bright. Just be straight with her.

    "Hello, Ms. Great Tenant. I don't think I was clear on your roommate selection, that is my fault, and I apologize. There are certain things we look for in tenant screening and unfortunately I cannot approve of your selected roommate to move in. I'm happy to entertain anyone who passes our screening process." 

    Not sure if legally you can go into the whos/whys you don't want prospective tenant, but again, lawyers are great for this kind of advice. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.