A couple furnishing questions

5 Replies

I'm picking out the furnishings of my first rental and I've received some mixed feedback from other investors on a few items. I'd love to hear more inputs from others here:

Property will rent for ~$1100-$1200/mo in an A-area. Demographic is working middle-class families.

Two bathrooms. One in the hallway and one in the Master. 

The hallway bath isn't terribly big -- maybe 45-55 Sq Ft.

I've heard mixed feedback on whether to use a pedestal sink (to save space) or to use a vanity that has additional storage below the basin. I see merits for both and would be curious to hear what other experienced landlords think would do better from a renter's appeal?

Would you tile the shower or use an insert/kit? The cost difference is negligible for me and I see benefits to both. On one hand, the tiling is more visually appealing, but it might be more vulnerable to dirt grime. 

Originally posted by @Alex Huang :

I'm picking out the furnishings of my first rental and I've received some mixed feedback from other investors on a few items. I'd love to hear more inputs from others here:

Property will rent for ~$1100-$1200/mo in an A-area. Demographic is working middle-class families.

Two bathrooms. One in the hallway and one in the Master. 

The hallway bath isn't terribly big -- maybe 45-55 Sq Ft.

I've heard mixed feedback on whether to use a pedestal sink (to save space) or to use a vanity that has additional storage below the basin. I see merits for both and would be curious to hear what other experienced landlords think would do better from a renter's appeal?

Would you tile the shower or use an insert/kit? The cost difference is negligible for me and I see benefits to both. On one hand, the tiling is more visually appealing, but it might be more vulnerable to dirt grime. 

For an A-Grade area I would use tile & provide them the sink with the storage.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

Tile.

Large tiles = fewer grout lines
Darker grout doesn’t show stains.

Throw in some accent tile to make it look high end.

Any links for some suggested tile layouts / designs?

Pedestal sinks are for powder rooms (only bathroom and sink, no shower or tub).  If you have a used bathroom, which from your description, you do, then you need a vanity with a decent sized countertop (for hair and makeup tools) and storage below.

Tile over kit.  Every time.

Here are some examples of what I have done recently.

You may want to consider a tile wall behind your vanity as well for an upscale look instead of a traditional backsplash.  This tile wall went from floor to ceiling and could be seen at different points (the vanity had see through parts below the drawers for storage baskets.  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.