Communication Tools for Low Income Tenants

5 Replies

Hi all,

For those that have several units, what have you found the most effective way to communicate general communications to your tenants?  For example, we want to share our new snow removal policy.  Do you mail letters, post on a corkboard, send a text, email?

Thanks!

I've found that text message works best, hands down. There's the occasional time when they've changed their number, but that's my best bet. For something more important, like in this instance, I'd also snail mail a letter. Whenever I mail them anything, I put a copy in their file, with their lease and other documents. That way if there's any question later, I can tell exactly what I've sent them by looking in their folder. 

To be the most effective, use face to face and hand them what you have explained in writing.  Most low income people are verbal rather than comfortable with the written word.

To be the most efficient, use snail mail. That's what I would use in this case.  But if it is something more serious, I would be knocking on doors and trying to have conversations and back it up with plain English written notification.

You also have to consider your local legal requirements. while it may not be the most effective, in my locale I have to legally post notices on front doors.  For example, a few years ago we had the well used back parking lot re-graveled.  I posted a legal notice on each apartment door notifying them of the day and time.  We then additionally placed a notice under the windshield wiper of each car parked in the back parking lot -- "Reminder: This lot is being re-graveled tomorrow.  Please move your car by 8 am tomorrow ______"  Clear communication and everyone complied. 

Yes, yes, yes and yes plus in person and expect to remind them several times. 

Remember they are not particularly bright and are generally inclined to not want to do anything and will ignore everything they do not want to hear. It is not as simple as telling them something. They generally need to be treated like children..

Originally posted by @Monica Kovalsky :

Hi all,

For those that have several units, what have you found the most effective way to communicate general communications to your tenants?  For example, we want to share our new snow removal policy.  Do you mail letters, post on a corkboard, send a text, email?

Thanks!

You need to use multiple vehicles to get your message across. A phone call is where you should start but they tend to change their phone numbers multiple time per year so you should accompany that with a letter mailed to their home or posted to their door. Probably not a bad idea to plan on doing this same process 2-3 times every time you make a policy change.

James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.