Pros and cons of mechanical vs. electronic locks for rentals

Pros and cons of mechanical vs. electronic locks for rentals

Adger, AL · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 2 votes

Hi, I'm considering renting a property about 57 miles away on airbnb. I have an electronic keypad in my house, which works great. I basically don't carry keys anymore. It uses batteries, but I have never changed them yet.

However, for this rental property, I am concerned about battery life, as I may not be around to replace it if one stops working and a guest comes. 

Can anyone recommend a good option. Or a reliable mechanical door lock they use?

0Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 122 votes
8y

I think its kwikset (but not sure) that make landlord friendly door locks. you can have it set that 1 key can open all the doors and you can easily change out the lock tumblers to rekey it. basically you have a master key, while all your doors have a different key that only opens that specific one.

I think they also make solar powered w/ back up battery electric locks that you can use if your leaning in that direction.  

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 122 votes
    8y

    I think its kwikset (but not sure) that make landlord friendly door locks. you can have it set that 1 key can open all the doors and you can easily change out the lock tumblers to rekey it. basically you have a master key, while all your doors have a different key that only opens that specific one.

    I think they also make solar powered w/ back up battery electric locks that you can use if your leaning in that direction.  

  • Adger, AL · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Matt B.:

    I think its kwikset (but not sure) that make landlord friendly door locks. you can have it set that 1 key can open all the doors and you can easily change out the lock tumblers to rekey it. basically you have a master key, while all your doors have a different key that only opens that specific one.

    I think they also make solar powered w/ back up battery electric locks that you can use if your leaning in that direction.  

    Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the kwikset option. A solar powered back up? That sounds interesting too.

    I guess I am also more so wondering about the pros and cons of fully mechanical locks like these: http://www.kaba-adsamericas.com/solutions/mechanic...

    The Kaba simplex series looks like they need no batteries and are tough. I just want something I let sit and forget about and that isn't hard to change the combo on for new renters.

  • Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 229 posts · 122 votes
    8y
  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 564 posts · 425 votes
    8y

    If you are looking for a backup to the electronic lock in case the battery dies, just put a lockbox with a spare key on the property and only give the combination out to someone if the lock doesn't work. This obviously only works if the electronic lock has a key hole.

    I have purchased, but not yet installed, this lock: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Connect-Camelo...

    The idea is that I connect it to wifi with a Wink hub, and then can control the lock on my phone. I can lock it, change the code, put in temporary codes (perfect or air bnb guests). It also comes with a spare key, which I will have in a realtor's  lockbox on the property (currently screwed to the underside of my deck). If the battery dies or it doesn't work for some reason, there will be a physical key in that lockbox as a backup.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 85 posts · 73 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Luc Boiron:

    If you are looking for a backup to the electronic lock in case the battery dies, just put a lockbox with a spare key on the property and only give the combination out to someone if the lock doesn't work. This obviously only works if the electronic lock has a key hole.

    I have purchased, but not yet installed, this lock: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Connect-Camelo...

    The idea is that I connect it to wifi with a Wink hub, and then can control the lock on my phone. I can lock it, change the code, put in temporary codes (perfect or air bnb guests). It also comes with a spare key, which I will have in a realtor's  lockbox on the property (currently screwed to the underside of my deck). If the battery dies or it doesn't work for some reason, there will be a physical key in that lockbox as a backup.

     I have the Schlage on my property, its great. 

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2011 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    I have a vacation rental at the beach and we I use a Smart Things  Hub and a schlage door lock.  I can control the lock remotely, set codes for each renter and have them time out after their stay.  It requires a little setup but once done it works great. You can get text messages when cleaning or maintenance crews some in or out. I do have a manual lockbox just encase it the electronic one fails but I haven't had it fail yet.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.